Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you comment please give a reason, Injection v Marination

Options
Anybody have an idea which is better?  Benefits of either? Personally I inject. 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I inject if the meat has the size and the structure to let the injected marinade do its thing. For thinks like chicken (all parts) marinate, turkey both approaches work. Pork butt - injected, pork chops - marinated, pork loin/tenderloin usually rubbed no marination. Never injected beef. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I don't care to be told what to do
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    Options
    Brisket is really the only thing I inject, and I marinate it too. Inject then let sit overnight in a ziploc bag with the leftover injection.

Not sure if there's an advantage one way or the other, but by doing both you're guaranteed to get that flavor into the meat.

And while we're on the topic this is a good injector:

I broke a bunch of the smaller ones and this one is holding up pretty well.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Skiddy- the tighter the fiber the more inclined you are to marinate?

Mickey- fu lol

Phoenix- i seem to have success with injection and I have had marinated cuts that have tasted "over done", flavor wise, and obviously I'm speaking from personal exp but I was wondering if there was a guide, and if Skid is right, I will try to emulate his example. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I'm with Mickey.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    For years I injected cherry or red apple balsamic in the butts. You could tell a little.More so to help break down. Today I'm going without and see if there is any difference.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My species reproduces through injection
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I thought you were married.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited July 2013
    Options

Mickey said:

I thought you were married.

=))

All he said was he didn't like it

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Skiddy- the tighter the fiber the more inclined you are to marinate?

Yes, and that's a personal preference not a scientific one. Some folks like stuffing and injecting a pork loin, tried some good ones, but found it was not what we liked. So we marinate, then rub. Turkey is the exception, maybe. The meat is firm but we inject to add some flavour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Guessing you don't want a neither opinion but figured I would throw it out there anyway. I personally am in the camp of just give it a little rub and let the meat speak for itself. I find everything I have cooked on the egg to plenty moist on it's own. I might change my mind on yardbird and brine but anything else I would just do neither.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I could have been a little more specific about injection of brine or marinate in brine, I don't like crazy flavors. My rub is a simple one and I only vary it slightly depending on beef chx or pork.  But I have found that injecting with a low sodium chx stock and some salt sugar and vinegar has really seemed to help with natural flavors, but becomes overwhelming if I marinate in the same brine overnight. 

Thank you all for your input, I know it was a pushy title but I was hoping to get great advice like this and not just a poll response like I have seen in the past.  

Again thanks so much! I think I have found the answers I was looking for. Ya gotta love this forum, its the best cooking tool in my tool belt!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    The only injecting I have done so far is with a 3-4 pound pork loin roast.  That's not a favorite cut of mine, I just find it pretty bland.  Boy, injecting made a world of difference there, and moved pork loin roast way up the list of cooks.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon