Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket this weekend

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Looking to do my second attempt at Brisket this weekend.

I am a little nervous about cooking times. Im serving at 5pm Sunday. I have a 14 pound packer after trimming ( I assume. 15 lbs originally).

I read several threads stating different times per pound with different temps I don't mind being done early then FTC for a couple of hours but I don't want to be done at 10 am either nor run right till 5 pm.

I speculate that putting it on at 9pm Saturday with a dome of about 275F will give me about 1.25 hours per pound of cook time with a bit of a cushion. Leaving me with a 2-3 hour FTC. Is this accurate?

I know the times can vary from brisket to brisket, but Im just looking for a jumping off point.

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I agree with your meat math - 9PM sounds right to me, especially at 275 dome.  You may be done early? I bet even 250 that is the right time. You can FTC from 10AM to 5PM, just add lots of towels. Agree you don't want to be done at 10AM if you can help it, but you can make that work if needed.  Early is better than late :)

As much as we read how efficient the egg is on lump, I've never put in enough for a brisket without having to add a little at the end.  Fill that firebox man!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    No I e else can help set my mind at ease?
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Back away from the ledge. It'll be fine. I would recommend a hotter, faster cook and a good rest. There are some links on that here or google Myron Mixon's recipe. You'll be sure to be fine with a hotter cook eating at 5pm
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If there is one thing I have learned is each piece of meat has a mind of its own. Your idea on 1 1/4 - 1 1/2hrs per pound is what I have seen as an average. You can easily FTC for 5-6hrs without worry. I would keep my fire around 260-275*. You will rock this and have a great supper

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I'm about to put one on at 10 PM.  Currently waiting for the temp to settle out.  I'll be happy anywhere between 220 and 275 then I'll go to bed.  I always wake up between 6 and 7 AM and I'll check it then and adjust as needed.  I will probably get it to 275 when I adjust in the AM and if it ends up being 1 hour per pound for my 14 pound brisket that would finish at noon.  Any time after that is good for my 6 PM party.  If I need to crank it up to 300 to power it home I will.  It sounds like you are essentially doing the same cook - so your math seems impeccable to me.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    KISS...

Sea salt, black pepper, and onion powder. Use oak for smoke.

Enjoy!
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Thanks guys. I set up my egg for the cook tonight yesterday. Just need to trim and season. Off to the Farmers Market to sell my wares then back home to start prep for the dinner and put the brisket on.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Foghorn
    Options

Brisket math update:

I put the brisket on at 10 PM as planned.  Grate temp was 241.  I woke up to check the brisket at 6:45 AM.  Grate temp was 267. Brisket was done.  Temps throughout it range from 190 to 201.  Probe slides in like "buttah" everywhere.  I think I finally hit a home run on a brisket but we don't need it for 11 hours.  So total cook time was 8 hours 45 minutes on a 14 pound packer. 

You may want to start a little later - or make sure your temps are a little lower - then adjust as needed in the morning.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• waderegister
    Options
    I have owned a BGE since 1998 but am new to this forum.  I have seen a number of references to "FTC" and don't know what that stands for.  Can anyone help?
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Foil, Towel, Cooler. Wrap it in foil, then wrap it in towels, then stick it in a cooler (preferably preheated). It will keep the meet hot for hours.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    FTC = Foil,Towel, Cooler. Just an easy way to let your meat rest and keep it warm for several hours. Wrap it in a few layers of foil then a couple of towel and place in a cooler

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'll be your wing man and fly along with a 12 pound choicer put on at 10:30 a.m. with some oak smoke. Just pulled the controller, which was set for low and slow, and opened it up the vents to set 300F grate. We'd like to have it for dinner tonight, could be breakfast tomorrow though, so we'll see .....
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Am I hijacking? You said brisket this weekend and we're power cooking one, daughter got home late last night and haven't seen her since Christmas. I'm pretty sure Mickey would like these tactics, too. We put a 12 pounder on at 10:30 a.m. and just put that puppy in the cooler. The point was 205F and she was 'jelly'. The first hour was smoking at 250F then bumped it up to 300F. It was in the 170's IT at the point at 1:30 pm so we foiled it. Pulled it off at 3:05 pm. The Egg had wandered up to 360F while I went to Home Depot. I was surprised when I got back at both the higher grate and the high IT. Anyway, I let it breathe for a few minutes, then foiled it back up with a second layer and threw it in the cooler. So Dinner is on for 6:00pm after all! It won't win a competition but it won't be bad, either! 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here it is prefoil, will try to add another when we slice.
  • hondabbq
    edited July 2013
    Options
    So lit my egg at 8pm. Might have had just a bit too much lump as the platesetter was very close. It took some time to come up and then shot up to 400. Setttled it back down to about 260. Just put the brisket in and going to monitor temps to make sure it settles in nicely. Using my Maverick for the first time tonight too. Grid is at 234 and dome is at 260.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Sorry for butting in. Ours did turn out very good, though!
  • hondabbq
    Options

Its now 730 am Sunday. Put the brisket on at 9 pm Saturday. Checked the Maverick when I rolled over and had to adjust 1 time, as it went up about 20*. It is steady at 260 dome and 232 grid right now. Meat is at 178, as I typed it dropped to 176. At 6am it was at 158*, so I assume I am in the "stall" right now. Going to Moms for breakfast at 830 am, putting my faith in the thing we call the EGG. Should be back about 10-1030 to start prepping the rest of the EGG items for dinner.

Doing skewered grilled veg, potato salad, Carolina Slaw, a couple of pizzas, and a quick little dessert my wife discovered.

• Foghorn
    Options
    It sounds like you are right on target.  Good job.  Here is the plated pic of the one I did the previous night.  It was a party for about 30 people.  Others had contributed a pork shoulder, sausages, hot dogs and a few casseroles with meat that could be construed as entrees.  At the point this picture was taken with 1/2 sliice of brisket left on the platter, none of the other options were more than 50% consumed.  Using an egg and following the advice of the good people on this forum make it possible to take it to the next level.  Good luck.

San Antonio, TX

• hondabbq
    Options
    In 11 minutes my grid temp has dropped 11* down to 223. Dome looks the same. Does the Evaporation during the stall adjust the grid temp. I thought I may have my probe close to the brisket. It was about an inch away when I put it on yesterday night.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I doubt that is an effect of evaporation. It is possible that you have some ash build up or something else affecting your airflow. I'd probably open the vents about a millimeter or two.

San Antonio, TX

• hondabbq
    Options
    Wouldn't the dome drop as well though? It is holding at the same temp since 6 am.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I would watch the Maverick more closely than the dome thermometer. By the time you have cooked all night, the dome and grid should get pretty close to evening out. I think the dome thermo might need calibrated. I agree with probably an airflow issue. When the grid temp is dropping, the cook is slowing down. Get it back up to temp.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Foghorn
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Wouldn't the dome drop as well though? It is holding at the same temp since 6 am.
    Good question.  I wish I had an answer.  Keep us posted after you get back from breakfast.

San Antonio, TX

• hondabbq
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Just got back. Both temps have dropped about 10 degrees this time not just the grid. So it seems normal, for now. Just bumped it up a bit to keep my grid at 235 and dome at 260. Meat is registering at 192. I need it to go till noon to keep my plan in effect. Should I be checking the doneness now?
  • Foghorn
    Options

"Should I be checking the doneness now?"

Yes.  But it is not done until the probe passes like it is in butter in all areas of the brisket.

San Antonio, TX

• hondabbq
    Options

Just took it off, meat was at 199*F. Thermapen went in very smoothly. Letting it rest in the kitchen for 30 minutes then separating the point for burnt ends and putting those back on until done. Going to FTC until about 330 ish for an early dinner as per schedule. Once the burnt ends come off we are ramping it up to do 2 pizzas.

OT........I had lump to the top and I mean the top of the fire ring. I went to give it a jostle to move things around. I still had a pile of lump just at the bottom of the fire ring. Pretty efficient id say.

• Foghorn
    Options

Sounds great.  Yes, the egg is very efficient.  I shudder to think how much wood I would have used in my firebox smoker cooking the same brisket.

Thanks for starting this thread and allowing a couple of weekend brisket comrades along for the ride.  It's been a good one.

San Antonio, TX

• hondabbq
    Options

Well thanks to all who contributed to my cook yesterday. My guests came and we dove in to the brisket (forgot to take pics in the frenzy. Point was amazing, the flat was possibly held too long and was edible but much drier than the point. It was in FTC for 5 hours. I wont go that long again either as the temp was only at 135* when I sliced it.

Thanks again to all who helped me out.