Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg coughing fire!

Options
First time I've seen this in a year plus egging. After lighting and waiting for the egg to get to temp (250F) it "coughed" fire quite a few times out the lower vent and sounded like the fire went out. Like a back draft? It did get up to temp in about normal time- anyone seen this? Any eggsperts know the science behind it?
Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Had a bottom vent flashback a while back.  Cooking chicken breasts, and when I opened the dome to flip them the Daisy Wheel closed.  Noticed it a few minutes later and opened it back up, followed by a big whoosh and flames shooting out the bottom vent.  Lost all the hair on my legs.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    MBGE has puffed now and then, but no flame that I noticed. Stirred the lump and all was well, so I assume it may have something to do with the fuel load. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Mine does it now & then when I start to close it down when I'm getting close to temp. Seems to do it more when I start a bigger fire.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Seen it tons. Did you get hot fire then make a large change in vent setting to choke back fire?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Have a large.......close it with bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel off slowly waiting to get to temp and bad smoke to clear....suddenly....this "whoosh"...what appears to be a a flash out the top...smoke clears...and temperature starts rising fast.....anyone else had this experience? 
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I think the EGG is angry...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I had it happen when I added lump to an already light fire. Fire shot out the bottom vent and the rumbled for just a bit and like your temp went crazy. Good thing I was doing pizzas next

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I've not seen my large barf any flame out the bottom vent, but have seen puffs of smoke. Usually this occurs when I have the bottom vent open a ways and the daisy on top closed down quite a bit. I think what is happening is the fire is "reaching out" through the bottom vent to get air. I solved the puff-the-magic-dragon syndrome by closing the bottom down more and opening the daisy to make a bit better draft through the Egg. Worked every time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    One more reason I never use the Daisy Wheel.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @Mickey, you mean you take it all the way off wherever you cook, or you don't ever adjust it?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mickey
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Hey @Mickey, you mean you take it all the way off wherever you cook, or you don't ever adjust it?

I never use it at all. It is in the garage in a cabinet. All three are there. You don't need it. Or, you could use it and leave the bottom vent fully open. I only control air by the bottom vent. One had a turkey and the other had a large ham going. No Daisy Wheels. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Wow! That's pretty amazing. How fine would you say you're confident adjust temp? 50 degrees, 20, 10? What's the lowest temp you feel confident locking in at?

If anything I've tended to fiddle more with DFMT and leave the bottom vent alone. This is a very different, and intriguing, concept.

Cheers
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1. Daisy Wheel in the cabinet for a while now. Unless I'm shooting for 250 or below (Turbo convert so that doesn't happen much any more) control temp with just the bottom vent. You can dial it in pretty close for any temp you want.
    Options
    BB I never cook less than 275 (that works fine). I can put it on (and do) any temp up from there I want. Why screw with two when one works fine. Hell they didn't have them till a few years ago anyway (6 or 7).

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    +1 with @Mickey.  The only time I use my EggWare cap is during a low and slow under 250.  It is remarkable how accurate the temp can be using just the bottom vent.  I think it is a cleaner burn as well without the top.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm going to give it a shot. 

Middleton, WI
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Mickey said:
    BB I never cook less than 275 (that works fine). I can put it on (and do) any temp up from there I want. Why screw with two when one works fine. Hell they didn't have them till a few years ago anyway (6 or 7).
    The daisy wheel is at least 12 years old.  I got one on my Egg in 2001.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    It may have been too many small bit of lump and poor air flow. Last night's cook acted normal. I will pipe in on no daisy wheel. I only use it for under 250 cooks, too. Bottom vent does it all above that.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Seen it tons. Did you get hot fire then make a large change in vent setting to choke back fire?
    Exactly the conditions.  Especially if you light (oh the horror) a huge pile of lump from the bottom.
    Options
    Sounds like an egg queff to me. Nothing to worry about.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Had mine spit smoke out both ends when I shut down each end a bit, for just a few seconds. Reminded me of the great and powerful Oz.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'