Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Roast

Options
OK, as a Rookie I have tried all the basics and feel like I am getting the hang of it. Interested in making some sort of beef roast, would welcome any recipes that you Veterans could provide. I promise pictures if its successful or a failure! 
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Rib roast, check out the amazing rib site, http://www.amazingribs.com/

Have the butcher remove the bones and tie it in a circular shape for you, so no more than a couple of ribs long. Cook it indirect, low and slow until IT is about 10-15º below target finish, then take out the setter and do a reverse sear. Will come out great, and because you are doing a slow cook up front it will not get away on you and overcook. 
    You can really change the taste with the rub you choose and if you use a board sauce. Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Sounds great thanks skiddymark
  • Aquacop
    Options
    P.S., Interesting username!  lol
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Baltimore Pit Beef is a nice quick roast. A number of good recipes on here - I remember a good one from @Griffin.  Here's how I did it

Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you reverse sear a rib roast, go really low... like 200. Then sear once you are 15-20 below finish temp. Edge to edge awesomeness.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you are looking for roast and potato type meal, take some fresh thyme,rosemary and fresh pepper and cover a chuck roast, cook at 250* until it hits 160* or so then put in a pan with potatoes, quartered onions and carrots with so some beef stock and wrap tight with aluminum foil and bump your egg up to 350*. It should take about 2-2 1/2hs for the meat to reach 200-205 and be ready to pull. This is better than any crockpot roast I have ever had

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I forgot to say cook indirect.

analyze adapt overcome

• Aquacop
    Options
    Is it just me or does the caveman in you come out and you want to cook the biggest piece of meat that you can. For some reason, maybe its because I have done so many butts prior to purchasing the egg, I want to cook the biggest piece of beef that the egg will accommodate. Is it just me or are there others out there that feel this way. I have a family of three but feel; compelled to cook monster cuts of beef, looking to settle my need, any recipes would be appreciated!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If you are looking for roast and potato type meal, take some fresh thyme,rosemary and fresh pepper and cover a chuck roast, cook at 250* until it hits 160* or so then put in a pan with potatoes, quartered onions and carrots with so some beef stock and wrap tight with aluminum foil and bump your egg up to 350*. It should take about 2-2 1/2hs for the meat to reach 200-205 and be ready to pull. This is better than any crockpot roast I have ever had

This sounds great.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Options

This sounds great.

I'm giving this one a try today.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Make sure to let us know how it turns out. Plenty of pics too!!

analyze adapt overcome