Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome vs Grid Temp

Options
Got a flat going "Travis" style.  Digi Q is reading 250 and dome right around 200.  Does this sound right?  Something tells me that the dome is usually higher than the grid.  Perhaps I need to recalibrate my dome thermometer?
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Presuming you are cooking indirect-is the Digi Q shielded from the direct heat of the lump...and I would check the calibration of any and all  thermos.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I have the same issue.... try moving the BBQ probe somewhere else on the grid.The grid probe maybe in a hot spot? They might come together as the cook goes on.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    The Digi Q wasn't near the edge- where direct heat got around the plate setter so I decided to check the BGE thermometer.  In boiling water, it was only reading about 175ish.  So I recalibrated that one and now Digi Q reading 245 and dome reading 280 which is kinda how I thought they should differ
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yay.  Mystery solved.  I'll always trust a digital thermometer before an analog.