Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dome vs Grid Temp

Got a flat going "Travis" style.  Digi Q is reading 250 and dome right around 200.  Does this sound right?  Something tells me that the dome is usually higher than the grid.  Perhaps I need to recalibrate my dome thermometer?
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,664
    Presuming you are cooking indirect-is the Digi Q shielded from the direct heat of the lump...and I would check the calibration of any and all  thermos.  FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,561
    I have the same issue.... try moving the BBQ probe somewhere else on the grid.The grid probe maybe in a hot spot? They might come together as the cook goes on.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • hoofalooshoofaloos Posts: 134
    The Digi Q wasn't near the edge- where direct heat got around the plate setter so I decided to check the BGE thermometer.  In boiling water, it was only reading about 175ish.  So I recalibrated that one and now Digi Q reading 245 and dome reading 280 which is kinda how I thought they should differ
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,913
    Yay.  Mystery solved.  I'll always trust a digital thermometer before an analog.

·