Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gettin' the hang of it

Options
Did two Boston Butts yesterday.They were about 7.5 lbs each and took approximately 15 hours to get to 200. This was my fourth set of butts since getting the Egg last year. I have to say, I felt pretty comfortable this time around! Only had to make one or two adjustments to the vents the entire cook. Put one on the main grid and another on the grid extender. Used apple wood chunks.

Turned out great!

Comments

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

Looking great! That's a good feeling, isn't it?  I really felt like I turned a corner when I was able to do an overnight cook, AND get some sleep. 

Nice work!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Very nice... can't wait to do my first butt on the BGE.  Will be doing my second batch of ribs on Sunday!!!

Long Island, NY
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Nice....i'm doing two 7.5 lb butts too in a few weeks.I have never cooked a butt before so what temp did you go with....250 ...275?? Did you rotate the upper and lower butts or did they cook at the same rate??

Any rub or mustard on them?

They look mighty tasty!!!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! 

@SaltySam It IS a great feeling! I still slept on the couch and obsessively looked at my Maverick every time I woke up, but it was always right on target. But I did sleep! 

@radamo Good luck! I have done ribs three time snow and am still not 100% satisfied with the outcome. Not giving up, though!

@CANMAN1976 Don't fear - butts seem pretty hard to mess up! There hasn't been a time where I wasn't extremely pleased with the outcome. Temperature-wise I did ~225 for the first several hours and had it up to about 275 for the last few (final 10 degrees of IT). No reason besides it was getting close to dinner time! My first go-around, I tried to keep the temperature right at 225 and would get frustrated in any fluctuation about 10 degrees above or below that. But now I'm satisfied if it's anywhere between 210 and 270! Makes for a more relaxed cook and just as good results!

No rotation - they finished at the exact same time, thankfully!

I covered with a light coat of mustard and then coated every square inch with Dizzy Dust. Fat cap down - not sure if it matters, though.

I try to follow Elder Ward's method (see NakedWhiz.com) - especially for building the fire. Filled up to the fire ring with RO and it MAYBE used half!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! 

@SaltySam It IS a great feeling! I still slept on the couch and obsessively looked at my Maverick every time I woke up, but it was always right on target. But I did sleep! 

@radamo Good luck! I have done ribs three time snow and am still not 100% satisfied with the outcome. Not giving up, though!

@CANMAN1976 Don't fear - butts seem pretty hard to mess up! There hasn't been a time where I wasn't extremely pleased with the outcome. Temperature-wise I did ~225 for the first several hours and had it up to about 275 for the last few (final 10 degrees of IT). No reason besides it was getting close to dinner time! My first go-around, I tried to keep the temperature right at 225 and would get frustrated in any fluctuation about 10 degrees above or below that. But now I'm satisfied if it's anywhere between 210 and 270! Makes for a more relaxed cook and just as good results!

No rotation - they finished at the exact same time, thankfully!

I covered with a light coat of mustard and then coated every square inch with Dizzy Dust. Fat cap down - not sure if it matters, though.

I try to follow Elder Ward's method (see NakedWhiz.com) - especially for building the fire. Filled up to the fire ring with RO and it MAYBE used half!
    Thanks for the tips, I hope mine turn out like yours!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).