Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Myron's Class (Pic Heavy)

Options
Just got home from Myron Mixon's BBQ school this past weekend. It was a blast! Class started on Friday night at his house - basically a meet and greet - with good southern fried chicken, hush puppies, and slaw. On Saturday we focused on prepping whole hog, wagyu briskets, pork butts, chicken, and ribs. Myron would share some knowledge, show the technique, and then send us off to try it out.

His team cooked all the meats (about 1,000 lbs of it) on Saturday night and Sunday we ate it all. I probably gained 5 pounds over the weekend but it was totally worth it.

One of the highlights for me, besides meeting Myron, was getting to chat with his right hand man TJ. TJ is an old timer that has probably forgotten more about BBQ than I know. 

Bottom line - fun experience, learned a lot, and would recommend it to any of my Egghead friends.

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That sounds awesome. Gotta look into that.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks like a good time- learn anything you want to share?
    Greensboro, NC
  • phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    Options
    @Wolfpack - it was awesome man. The first thing we did when we got there was sign a non-disclosure agreement (I'm serious).

• Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    Options
    wow....that is the only thing I do not like about Mixon. He is so special he can't share secrets....bs make your money and move on
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    SWMBO and I just finished episode 3 of BBQ Pitmasters (S1) on Netflix. That's the one where the Piablo guy steals Myron's muffin pan chicken technique.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited July 2013
    Options
    @Wolfpack - it was awesome man. The first thing we did when we got there was sign a non-disclosure agreement (I'm serious).

Glad you had fun, but I think I'd have told him to go "have fun" with himself and demanded my money back plus gas money for the trip home.  Seems way over the top and seriously egotistical to me for a lot of reasons.  If you don't want people to know what you're doing, then don't teach people while charging an arm and a leg to do it. 

Watching and listening to him, can't say it's surprising in the least......

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• rockinar
    rockinar Posts: 3
    Options
    Looks to be about 29~ people in that class. At $750 a head, that's $21,750 in his pocket for 2 days work. Not bad. 
  • rockinar
    rockinar Posts: 3
    Options
    Why would he make you sign a NDA? He tells all in his books already. Unlessssssss......his books are all lies.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Wow that's a great experience!  It sounds like you had a good time.  I was going to sign up for Myron's or Johnny Trigg's class, but then Chris Capell from Dizzy Pig started a competition class this past April.  I was unable to attend because of my oldest nieces wedding, but I will be attending the one in November.  I'm excited to learn from Chris as all of his teams cooking is done on egg's.  I also like the fact that Chris limits his class size to 15 for a little more one on one time.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

I've seen some discussion lately about the difference between competition BBQ and every day BBQ.  The difference I've picked up on is that competition BBQ has intense flavors, meant to impress judges who only have one or two bites.  Did you focus on competition type prep, or just every day, this-is-awesome-eats BBQ?

Also, how many times did he say the word "damn"?  I'd put the over/under somewhere around 500 for a two-day class.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• HavasuTom
    HavasuTom Posts: 13
    Options
    A link to Myron's rib recipe as posted from a Good Morning America episode.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=13800607

Lake Havasu, Arizona 

Size does matter - XL BGE

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm glad you had a great time. Sounds like fun. It does bother me that he'll share his secrets for money but it ends there. When i joined thisfforum I was amazed how people shared secrets. Most folks find a winner and set on it. I'm sure mixon knows a lot about bbq competition buy I'd rather drink beer with friends in Salado eating brisket cooked by Centex. Again... Glad you had fun. I'd do it too if I could.
    You were waxing poetic until you got to the Centex brisket part.  That guy's a hack!!!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    rockinar said:
    Why would he make you sign a NDA? He tells all in his books already. Unlessssssss......his books are all lies.
    I was wondering that too; the book reads like he's not hiding anything.  
    Phoenix007, have you read his book before attending the class?  I'd be curious as to whether he does include extra tricks in his class... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm glad you had a great time. Sounds like fun. It does bother me that he'll share his secrets for money but it ends there. When i joined thisfforum I was amazed how people shared secrets. Most folks find a winner and set on it. I'm sure mixon knows a lot about bbq competition buy I'd rather drink beer with friends in Salado eating brisket cooked by Centex. Again... Glad you had fun. I'd do it too if I could.

I'll spring for the first case just to hear you guys tell your stories.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    edited July 2013
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    henapple said:

I'll spring for the first case just to hear you guys tell your stories.
    He does BBQ for a living so him charging for the class and his ideas and methods is expected. I talk with Jim Butler from Party Q who is 5th in the Memphis BBQ Network right now and ate some awesome BBQ from him Saturday. He was trying a new Rub and glaze.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    +1 Gary.

Books are copyrighted materials, so if someone lifts it, he has recourse.  Myron is one of the best known names in BBQ, I'm not surprised he's trying to protect himself from someone opening a Myron based BBQ class.  Plus - I think it's a bit of a marketing gimmick.. you really feel he's letting you in on the secrets.

Sounds like a cool class.. lots of different styles and meats.  I'd love it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • phoenix007
    Options
    I would say that 70% was material covered in his books, 30% was new stuff. With that said, there are a lot of tips and tricks that you learn just from listening to him go through his process. And - you can ask as many questions as you want. Most of the new stuff I learned was about process and technique (i.e. how to prep a hog, etc).

Totally agree with you guys about sharing info. Don't worry - a lot of what I learned will come out indirectly when I comment on forum posts. ;)

There is a HUGE difference between competition cooking and everyday cooking. For competitions, all of the flavors are turned way up (punch of salt, lots of sweet, etc.). I experienced that with Myron's cooking. Tastes awesome for the first two bites but then it's almost too rich. 

• phoenix007
    Options
    @SaltySam - you'll appreciate this. His opening comment to the class was, and I quote, "Anybody who says the don't like winning hasn't won a damn thing"
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I have his book and it is a good read for sure. I ave learned from it and done some cooks based on the advice. They turned out good and made the wife happy which is the soul purpose of my cooking other then I like BBQ.