Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone using Mesqite?

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

When I bought my egg one of the first woods I bought was Mesquite and Apple.

I started reading a lot on here and I read that mesquite is too strong for smoking low and slows, so I haven't used it at all yet.

I know how much smoke flavor I like and have nailed it down. I am doing a brisket this weekend (second attempt) and was curious if anyone could point me in the right direction with this wood.

I know CenTex and a few others will yell at me (JK) for not using Oak but I cant find any locally.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2013
    Same for me, when I bought my Egg years ago I made baby backs and used Mesquite and it was very strong and haven't used it since. Now I stick with Hickory, cherry, pecan, apple, oak and some alder for fish. You can't find the Jack Daniels chips near you? 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    @JRWhitee I have seen them and they seem pricey to me. Are they Oak?
  • I find that mesquite is OK if you use a little bit of it and mix it with some other wood.  If you use strictly mesquite, it may be overpowering.  Try mixing it with pecan, apple, hickory.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I toss VERY LITTLE mesquite in from time to time on a steak cook. It doesn't take much but it adds a great flavor when used properly on a red meat cook.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    ill toss a few chips in with cherry chunks for pulled pork sometimes just to change it up, that and i just dont seem to taste hickory and cherry as much anymore. it doesnt take much to taste mesquite in a low and slow
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Kosko said:
    I toss VERY LITTLE mesquite in from time to time on a steak cook. It doesn't take much but it adds a great flavor when used properly on a red meat cook.
    I'm with @Kosko here. Use it sparingly. I've found that rather than chips/chunks I use a few pieces of mesquite lump mixed in with my lump du jour. Adds just a nice touch of flavour. 
    If you are using chips/chunks, I suggest using about 1/4 of what you would normally use. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    hondabbq said:
    @JRWhitee I have seen them and they seem pricey to me. Are they Oak?
    Yes they are oak and they are pricey, I use them for Briskets only.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    If you can not find oak use Pecan, it is good on Brisket !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Mesquite for steak grilling, or any beef cook.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

We use nothing but mesquite logs at deer camp (non-BGE) to cook steaks, chicken, etc. and they turn out good.  I'm guessing since the pit is not a sealed environment like the BGE, the smoke flavor is not as intense.  I have not used any on the BGE yet.  I plan on brining some back when I head out there in a couple months.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE