Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice sought on ABT's

Hibby
Hibby Posts: 606
I'm sadly absent of any photo-cooks as of yet. I always cook with the intention of taking pics but seldom get enough pics to make it worthwhile. I'm going to make ABT's tomorrow for the first time on the egg (made before on Weber Smoky Mountain). I'd like to provide the best end result quality-wise for great pictures and I just have a few questions. 1) does one stand a better chance of preventing the cream cheese from oozing out if the ABT's are prepared before and chilled in refrigerator prior to cook? 2) what is the preferred cooking temp and duration? 3) will be cooking on a CGW swing rack. Should I still use Platesetter? 4) Platesetter legs up or down? Thanks in advance for your wisdom or sage advice. I will include my recipe as I think you'll find it a bit unique. Hibby.
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've never had any problems with the cheese leaking out but I stuff a shrimp on top. I go indirect around 350 till the bacon is crispy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    edited July 2013

My "go-to" ABT filling recipe-I cook up hot/spicy sausage (Tennessee Pride is a great local brand) then melt in habenero pepper cheese for the stuffing.  Split jalapeno in half and then fill with stuffing and wrap with uncooked bacon.  I have made the day before and same day and could not tell the difference through the cloud of adult supervisory beverages.  I cook raised direct (using the CGW swing rack) at around 350*F about 2-3 " above the felt line til bacon is done.  Lump load about up to side air holes so no issue with flare ups.  (LBGE)

If you are looking for picture-quality ABT's then I would go indirect (more uniform cooking) as mentioned by @henapple but that's the  beauty of the BGE-experiment and find what works for you.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    I haven't made abt's in my egg yet but I've made piles of them in my drum smokers. I almost always make them in the morning on the day I'll cook them but that's just for convenience. They take a while to prepare so I never really had time to make them just before cooking. I usually go around 300-325 for about two hours and don't have a problem with the cheese oozing out. It sure does taste good when it sucks up that smoke though.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I mix cream cheese with goat cheese and fine. Direct raised at 400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    400 indirect until the bacon is crispy
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I haven't compared 350 versus 400, but I'm impatient and 45 minutes at 400 wins for me.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    An add on question, what wood smoke do you recommend for abt's?

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    i mix the cream cheese with other types of cheese and also mix in some rub. last week it was a taco seasoned cheese, cream cheese,with rub, and pulled pork . found they wrap better with center cut thin bacon over the regular cut, more uniform in shape. i over stuff with the cheese and start the cook raised direct in jalepino halves and start the cook cheese side down and dont lose much cheese at all, flip half way thru. i dont use tooth picks either, just stretch and wrap the bacon. later in the cook i might put them in a pan and keep cooking.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Sometimes I try to find the biggest Jalapeno peppers and leave them whole.  I core out the seeds and pith, then stuff them and wrap the bacon.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited July 2013
    imageI prefer to make ABT's "boat style" meaning I cut them lengthwise. Rather than to lop off the stem end thus having the cheese melt and leak out I take a sharp knife and run it under the doily like end of the stem to remove it which reveals the navel underneath. Then slit the pepper in half and presto you have two boats!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    RRP said:
    imageI prefer to make ABT's "boat style" meaning I cut them lengthwise. Rather than to lop off the stem end thus having the cheese melt and leak out I take a sharp knife and run it under the doily like end of the stem to remove it which reveals the navel underneath. Then slit the pepper in half and presto you have two boats!
    i had no idea what you were saying til the picture came thru
    :)) i leave the stem on and cut them into two boats. for me speed is a factor.  cut them all in half, scrape them clean with a spoon, fill them with meat, wet hands and fill the the cream cheese by hand, seems to be fastest, stretch bacon and wrap without overlapping, no tooth picks, cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for all the advice. I've already begun preparing and taking pictures. I basically cut using a modified 2 boat method. I'm a terrible bit picky about certain textures in foods and was worried just removing the doily (calyx) portion would leave a 'woody' texture where the stem had been attached so I cut it out with a pearing knife. New post to come when it's all done.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • henapple
    The most important thing is to not wear gloves... Cut and rub the jalapeños then run to bathroom...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hibby said:
    ...just removing the doily (calyx) portion would leave a 'woody' texture where the stem had been attached so I cut it out...
    Trust me there is no woody texture, besides when the pepper is heated the whole pepper loses the crunchy nature.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    Mickey said:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

VI cook those?
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    One more tip to add. If you wear contacts, take them out BEFORE you handle the jalapenos. I learned that the hard way.

I make mine pretty much the way Henapple said. 350 indirect until crispy. You'll probably have a little cheese run out, but not enough to really effect anything.

I've always just used hickory wood for smoke flavor. Hard to mess up anything with some nice hickory smoke.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I had to google what is ABT ... still ROFL!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL