Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you travel with your egg?

I was wondering if anyone here travels with their egg? How do you do it? I was asked if I could bring my egg to Buffalo from Cleveland for a weekend. I told them I would look into it. I just wouldn't want to have a break of some sort. But I know people travel all the time for competitions and what not. 

Just thought I'd put it out there. 

Cheers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Sure do, we take our small with us, it goes into the back seat of the pick up truck, seat belted in and the nest is in the truck box. We enjoy RVing with it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Our mini travels with us to our place on the Oregon Coast.

We have an Egg Carten and it works perfect!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This was my first year not to take an egg to FL. We have the same setup as Jaydub.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Travel with Large as well. Do have handlers on the nest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Ok, so I have 2 larges. How do you travel with a large Mickey?
    Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I bought my XL RI last year and to Mass a couple of weeks. My BIL also brought his XL to Mass this year. Last year I rented a U-haul trailer. This year I bought a trailer.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    fiver29 said:

Check out "rubber on nest" thread. Shows how Mickey travels.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    edited July 2013
    fiver29 said:

I take it to here is I can load and unload myself. Put in the back of truck and off. If I had help I would not take apart at all. Once more I have handlers and I think they add a lot of safety. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've traveled with my large a few times. It's doable, but I got a small to make it easier now.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • fiver29
    Thanks.  So get a handler and load in the back of a truck.  Or, put in the front seat of a car.

I'd just be concerned if I put in the back of truck with a handler that it would crack with bumps on the road.  Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it?
    Strongsville, Ohio

• My mini goes camping with me every time. Thinking about retireing the Coleman.
  • My mini goes camping with me every time. Thinking about retireing the Coleman.

Use it as a side burner. I forgot I had my Dad's Coleman stove until a couple of days ago I spotted it in the attic. I immediately thought about putting it to use as my side burner. So many memories with it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    fiver29 said:
    Thanks.  So get a handler and load in the back of a truck.  Or, put in the front seat of a car.

I'd just be concerned if I put in the back of truck with a handler that it would crack with bumps on the road.  Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it?

Myself and lots of others take them in trailers and pu's all the time. I take it down like in the pic when I have no help. Otherwise I slide some cardboard be twin the parts and between the lid and base and go. Now I am talking a longer trip not across town ( then its load and go). The cardboard works just fine.

• fiver29
    Mickey said:
    fiver29 said:

Myself and lots of others take them in trailers and pu's all the time. I take it down like in the pic when I have no help. Otherwise I slide some cardboard be twin the parts and between the lid and base and go. Now I am talking a longer trip not across town ( then its load and go). The cardboard works just fine.
    Ok, thanks.  I will have to put a plan together!
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Mickey
    This is with the dome off and guts out trip. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    If I had a truck I'd have no problem putting it in the back like mickey. With just a little caution and common sense it should be safe

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Mickey said:
    This is with the dome off and guts out trip. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I see you washed and dressed her up for the photo op.
    :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mickey
    Aviator said:
    Mickey said:
    I see you washed and dressed her up for the photo op.
    :)

For the past 40 years I have been lucky enough to have people to keep them clean. By next March you will not see me in a black truck or a clean truck :((

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    OMG, Mickey, are we finally talking retirement time?  Yahoo! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I travel with 2 large and an XL all over the southwest going to competitions. Put them in the back of the truck out of thier nests and internal pieces inside the cab. Iys been working for 2 1/2 years.
  • Mickey
    jaydub58 said:
    OMG, Mickey, are we finally talking retirement time?  Yahoo! 
    Get your Egg ready. Will come your way.

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    edited July 2013
    I travel with my large.  I bought a pot lifter and I take the fire ring and fire box out to reduce the weight.  I have a Yukon XL and we put the egg in the back and I wrap the egg in moving blankets.  Once wrapped I use Cargo Straps to secure the egg to the tie downs and then place fire ring and fire box wrapped in blankets on the floor.  It works great.