Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Considering buying a Cast Iron grid for my LBGE

I am considering purchase of a Cast Iron grid for my LBGE. I am asking for opinions on the BGE Cast Iron grid and third party suppliers. I own and use extensively a Large Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store. I seem to like the 18.5 inch grid from Craycort.

Opinions, please.
·

Comments

• fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 533
    I have heard good stuff about the Craycort CI grate.

I have the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack and it working great for me http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

I also bought a Large Spider along with a 13" Cast Iron cooking Grate from BGE. I use this for searing steaks close to the fire.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 770
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • HNLHNL Posts: 31

fljoemon said:
    I have heard good stuff about the Craycort CI grate.

I have the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack and it working great for me http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

I also bought a Large Spider along with a 13" Cast Iron cooking Grate from BGE. I use this for searing steaks close to the fire.

I'm picking up my LBGE next week...help me understand why you'd want/need a product like the swing rack AND the spider (or woo?) also?  I've read a lot of posts related to raising or lowering the grill height above/below the felt level...can this be done on the BGE "as is" or do you need a product like a spider/woo to do it?   Thanks
    ·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I bought the large cast tron grid from BGE and I love it for doing steaks,chicken cutlets ,burgers toasting burger buns,hot dogs ,sausages or anything you want grill marks on ,I recommend  you getting a cast iron grid you will love it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • Rick1Rick1 Posts: 77
    I have the BGE CI grill for my large egg. Used it once, it makes nice grill marks. Compared to the stainless grid it's heavy, won't work with my PS Woo from CGS, and requires more time cleaning and seasoning to avoid rust. It's been hanging in the garage since that one use. It adds nothing to the food other than pretty grill marks. Just my .02 cents, YMMV.
    ·
  • NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 144
    edited July 2013
    The craycort is nice I like how easy it is to add extra chunks of wood of long smokes. You won't get the perfect grill marks though because the separate sections don't all line up
    HFX NS
    ·
  • msloanmsloan Posts: 259
    i just bought two of the half moon BGE brand last night.....I'm going to oil them down and use them this weekend.....they look great right now...lol
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
    ·
  • erniemcclainerniemcclain Posts: 359
    Bought my CI with the grill.  I have NEVER used the stainless standard grid.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • FireTowerFireTower Posts: 69
    Cast iron grates are the only way to grill. They hold the temp nicely, which gives you a good sear on your meat. 
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,766
    I have the spider and the small cat iron for sewing steaks as well. I use the stainless for everything else.

Garnerville, NY
    ·