Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wednesday Night Yardbird.

Options

Nothing fancy here, just tasty yardbird on the Egg.  This shot just after going skin down before saucing.  Cooked at 400 direct on a raised grid.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Certainly looks tasty! :-bd
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'm working in Danville.. Santa Clara isn't too far fir a delivery, is it? LOL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice - will have a couple thighs on the egg tonight - just the two of us, making me hungry!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    When you cook chicken thighs or wings direct at 400 how long before the flip?  Are they about 10 min side?  If I did not have a raised grid is it more frequent flips or lower temp or both?
    Thanks if you can help.  Just trying to learn and don't have a raised grid. 
    Long Island, NY
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I simply don't cook chicken enough.  I have got to change this.  Thanks for the post.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    radamo said:
    When you cook chicken thighs or wings direct at 400 how long before the flip?  Are they about 10 min side?  If I did not have a raised grid is it more frequent flips or lower temp or both?
    Thanks if you can help.  Just trying to learn and don't have a raised grid. 

I start skin up to help set the skin so it isn't too fragile when we go skin down after 12 minutes or so.  At 400 you do need to keep 'em moving so they don't burn.  If no raised grid go a bit lower say 365/370 watch the hot spots in the Egg as you make flame up a bit.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Raised direct, an inch above the felt line, flip after 8 to 10, dome at 400º, skin side up to start. Always good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!