Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubber on nest....

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Anyone have the rubber on their nest melt to the ceramic on the egg? Looks like that has happened on mine. I am taking my Large egg an hour down the interstate in a few weeks, and afraid the ceramic will come off when I take it out of the nest. Happened to anyone?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Chubbs I just don't remember rubber on the nest and I have a new one as well as an older one. Suggest you get a " Handler" for moving around. Have on both my Larges, just more safe. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Options
    The part that goes up to brace the "waist" or "medsection" of the egg. The three arms. The top had a little rubber on it so it doesn't scratch the ceramic. Right?
  • Chubbs
    Options

Check right here Mickey.... these are your eggs.... This area has melted and fused together on my Large.

• Mickey
    Options
    Oh, You are talking about the rubber tips over the ends.They just pull off the Egg and slip back on. Why are you pulling out of nest. Call me 254.289.1877
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited July 2013
    Options
    This is how I did mine. imagePhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos This way not over the cab and rode the 1600 miles just fine to FL and back. Also I could handle the weight loading and unloading.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Lot of folks posted about the caps melting here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142494/vinyl-caps-melting-to-egg

I don't have the caps on my nests so I don't have first hand experience with the issue.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    The rubber caps on my small melted on my first or second high temp cook.  I had one helluva time removing it from the nest the first time I wanted to take it tailgating.  A utility knife and a little elbow grease took care of any future problems.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Stone cold pimp!