Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicago deep dish

SaturdayFatterdaySaturdayFatterday Posts: 467
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Finally broke out the recipe @Carolina Q has shared for Chicago-style crust.  First attempt was a sausage, onion, black olive, spinach, and pepperoni pie.  Did it at 500* in a cast-iron skillet, elevated a few inches above a PS, legs down.  Took about 30 minutes, turned and foiled (because the top was charring a bit - might be because we used a sprinkling of mozzarella on top instead of the traditional parmesan/romano) halfway through.

Now, pics:

The crust turned out perfectly; these pictures don't do it justice.  It was a perfect golden brown on the bottom.

My wife and I can vouch that this crust is pretty much identical to Lou Malnati's or Gino's East.  Thanks again, @Carolina Q!

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
·

Comments

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,666
    That looks great SF. I love Lou's and Gino's.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,473
    Awesome pie!! So glad you liked it! 
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • It was GREAT.  Thanks again for the recipe, and sorry it took so long for us to make it.

·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,052
    Holly cow that looks Gooood!
    ·
  • ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 519
    Lou's and Gino's are for tourist; Giordano's is where it's at :)
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,016
    I am a tourist, but I love all three of those options. 

Our looks GREAT! Do you guys mind posting recipe (again)?

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    Turned out great! Thanks for sharing!
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,922
    And now I'm hungry again, think I'll have another beer instead and call it a night.  Damn that's a good looking pie.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • @ShadowNick:  Edwardo's was always my wife's favorite, but their crust is a little different.  And Giordano's is awesome.

Thanks, everybody!  Might do this one again as soon as Sunday.

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,519
    Gotta agree.  When in Chicago, Eduardo's and Pequod's are my go to spots.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·