Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Minimalist Chicken

Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,383
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I struggled with calling this indirect chicken, to draw folks to the first pic.  This is a fine example of using an XL strength, that is thought by a lot of folks to be a weaknesses; namely cooking area and firebox size.  I wanted to do these marinated, boneless and skinless chicken breasts indirect.  I just loaded some lump in the back of the firebox, and cooked indirect in the front.  In the last 5 minutes I put them over the heat.  I cooked a small meal on the XL and used no more lump than I would in my Small.  I also had direct and indirect in the same cook without using any stones.

Indirect at 400 for 30 minutes, and then 5 minutes direct until the internal was upper 150s.  Marinated overnight in KC Masterpiece Chipotle Lime.  Turned out a little tacky, sweet and citrus tasting.  Pic 2 is raw from the marinade. The meat was very juicy.

Simple plating with just some home pickled red cabbage and onion, and a few raw veggies.  Went lite tonight.
Pasquali Luciano
Buon appetito to all the BGE family
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,210
    Doc_Eggerton said:  I cooked a small meal on the XL and used no more lump than I would in my Small.  I also had direct and indirect in the same cook without using any stones.
    So, why didn't you post this two years ago, before I bought my Small?   X(

;)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,383
    Botch said:
    Doc_Eggerton said:  I cooked a small meal on the XL and used no more lump than I would in my Small.  I also had direct and indirect in the same cook without using any stones.
    So, why didn't you post this two years ago, before I bought my Small?   X(

;)
    Actually I've grown tired of the size debate and don't comment much on it.  This seemed like a good example.  I do use my small frequently, usually reserved for meat cooks.
    Pasquali Luciano

·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 292
    Nice looking healthy meal Doc! Way
    to go showing us how to eat healthy while still using the magic which is the Big Green Egg!
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,936
    Makes me lean towards the XL when I get the okay from the boss to pull the trigger.

Looks great!
    ·
  • bboulierbboulier Posts: 351
    Looks good.  I have a medium, which I really enjoy.  However, there are times when I would like to cook some items direct and others indirect.  A larger egg would be of assistance in these instances. (Usually, I solve this problem  with my side buddies - a Weber kettle and a Weber gas grill.)  I have never cooked on a Primo, but do like the oval design.  For the same surface area, it offers both direct and indirect grilling possibilities.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,383
    Leftovers.
    Pasquali Luciano

·