Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked chicken basted Yukon taters

Options
I spatched a chicken tonight, which was nothing special. However, I also sliced some Yukon gold potatoes and put them in an aluminum tin underneath the bird, on the platesetter. The chicken was dressed in garlic, EVOO, and fresh rosemary, basil, safe and parsley from the garden. The potatoes had just olive oil, salt and pepper. The chicken was fantastic as always, but the taters were a revelation. Soft insides, buttery and a little bit of crunch on the outside. They almost tasted like fries cooked in duck fat.

It's not earth shattering by any means, and I'd even seen it done before. Just wanted to post my successful cook. If you haven't tried it, it's a winner!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Yep. Bookmarked!

Very nice.

Cheers
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    What was your setup? PS, pan of veggies, grid, then chicken?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Was pan raised off PS or directly on it?
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Sorry gang. Pictures would be helpful here. I didn't think to take any since it didn't seem like it would turn out special.

Here's how I did it: PS legs up, with pan if veggies directly on top if the PS. Then, chicken spatched, ribs down on the grate.

Here's what I will do different next time: some small spacers between the PS and the pan of potatoes. The bottom got pretty brown and crispy. I think I'll oil them first, and then toss them around rather than just drizzle oil. That might help the browning as well. Also. I'll use the mandolin to get even slices. I aimed for 1/8" slices but my knife skills are pretty weak.

I'll also take pictures of my setup...just in case it turns out great.

Everything cooked at 325-350 dome, and it took about 1:45 for the breasts to hit 160. The time and temp combo worked, but I probably could have bumped it up to 375, and still been okay.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Does look good. Those crispy brown ones would have been the first ones I picked out for devouring...

Middleton, WI
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Thanks for the info BB.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    You're welcome (?)

Middleton, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    On the 'to do' list
    Options
    I'm a newbie and trying spatchcocked this weekend. I'm going to try this!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job, doing a spatchcocked tonight, I will try the potatoes as well. Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Just catching up on this post. Great looking meal. well done! Really like the herbed bird, SWMBO is a fan of herbs rather than rubs, your's looks excellent. 
    Wise to use the Yukons, Russets will come out a tad on the mushy side from what I've experienced. We usually cube our spuds, I put them in for maybe 20 to 30 minutes before the bird goes on. Friend gave me a tip once using shake on bake on the oiled spuds to crisp them up a bit, works very well. Must try your sliced thin spuds. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!