Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcocked chicken basted Yukon taters

I spatched a chicken tonight, which was nothing special. However, I also sliced some Yukon gold potatoes and put them in an aluminum tin underneath the bird, on the platesetter. The chicken was dressed in garlic, EVOO, and fresh rosemary, basil, safe and parsley from the garden. The potatoes had just olive oil, salt and pepper. The chicken was fantastic as always, but the taters were a revelation. Soft insides, buttery and a little bit of crunch on the outside. They almost tasted like fries cooked in duck fat.

It's not earth shattering by any means, and I'd even seen it done before. Just wanted to post my successful cook. If you haven't tried it, it's a winner!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

image.jpg 1.8M
image.jpg 1.7M
image.jpg 1.8M
·

Comments

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,019
    Yep. Bookmarked!

Very nice.

Cheers
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    What was your setup? PS, pan of veggies, grid, then chicken?
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Was pan raised off PS or directly on it?
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 414
    Sorry gang. Pictures would be helpful here. I didn't think to take any since it didn't seem like it would turn out special.

Here's how I did it: PS legs up, with pan if veggies directly on top if the PS. Then, chicken spatched, ribs down on the grate.

Here's what I will do different next time: some small spacers between the PS and the pan of potatoes. The bottom got pretty brown and crispy. I think I'll oil them first, and then toss them around rather than just drizzle oil. That might help the browning as well. Also. I'll use the mandolin to get even slices. I aimed for 1/8" slices but my knife skills are pretty weak.

I'll also take pictures of my setup...just in case it turns out great.

Everything cooked at 325-350 dome, and it took about 1:45 for the breasts to hit 160. The time and temp combo worked, but I probably could have bumped it up to 375, and still been okay.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
    Does look good. Those crispy brown ones would have been the first ones I picked out for devouring...

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Thanks for the info BB.
    ·
    You're welcome (?)

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    On the 'to do' list
  • I'm a newbie and trying spatchcocked this weekend. I'm going to try this!
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,667
    Nice job, doing a spatchcocked tonight, I will try the potatoes as well. Thanks.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,148
    edited August 2013
    Just catching up on this post. Great looking meal. well done! Really like the herbed bird, SWMBO is a fan of herbs rather than rubs, your's looks excellent. 
    Wise to use the Yukons, Russets will come out a tad on the mushy side from what I've experienced. We usually cube our spuds, I put them in for maybe 20 to 30 minutes before the bird goes on. Friend gave me a tip once using shake on bake on the oiled spuds to crisp them up a bit, works very well. Must try your sliced thin spuds. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·