Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Cook Advice

Options
I got nominated to provide the food for my 10 yr class reunion next weekend.  I will take this a compliment, i guess.  I am responsible for feeding 50-60 people, and was wanting to get you egghead's opinions on how to go about this.

I plan on smoking four 6-7lb bone in butts, at my house on Friday night.  I plan on putting them on around 7-8 PM, and hopefully taking them off around 10am the next morning at the latest.  Here comes the big concern that I have....we are goin out on the lake around noon on Saturday and not expecting to eat til around 7:00 Saturday night.  I will FTC them for as long as I can, and will then have access to an oven if necessary.

Do you think approx 8 hrs in a cooler will affect the meat, or would 4 hrs in a cooler and then in the oven to preheat???

The single butts I have cooked in the past have been exactly 12 hr cooks, but not sure how having 4 butts in the egg will affect on time??

Thought?
"Live Fast, Die Fun"

LBGE

Roll Tide 

Comments

• VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    Options
    In my experience, it takes about the same amount of time to cook one butt as four.

Eight hours in a cooler?  They'll probably still be above the "danger" zone.  Could pull them and put into warming trays and hour or two before serving.