Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time cooking burgers on the bge

Options
last night I cooked burgers on the egg for the first time. They were EXCELLENT. Here's what I did: I was going to make myself a patty melt so I put the patty in a ziplock bag and rolled super thin and then decided to do them all that way. The rest of the family were going to just make burgers. Direct heat raised by bricks at 550* for 3 minutes per side. Best tasting burger(s) I believe I've ever had. I may roll em thin every time from now on! BTW my patty melt, I buttered two slices of bread added onions, cheese, and pickles and toasted on the stove. SUPER GOOD

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    When you say roll, Re you putting in a zipper bag and then taking a rolling pin to them? Then cut the bag? Many thanks.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm an Egg newb.  Could you describe "Direct heat raised by bricks"? I think I got the direct heat part - nothing between the coals and the grill grate, but how do you raise the grill with bricks?
  • alabama_egg
    Options

I patted out the patties round like you would when making burgers then put in a ziplock bag so it wouldn't make a mess or stick, then used a bread roller to flatten the patties. then take them out of the bag and repeat with other patties

direct heat, fire burning in the pit...2 basic home building bricks left over from my house build sitting on the fire ring...grate on top of the bricks. it just gets the food a little higher in the dome. check out one of my first posts about the chicken, I have good pics of what im talking about

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks alabama egg - I looked at your chicken pics.  I have a couple spare bricks from my house build sitting in my garage too.  Looks like a good way to get an elevated grid until I decide whether or not a Woo or AR should be in my future.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Two bricks will work but I like to use three... a little  more securely balanced (but I use "smaller" paving stones in place of building bricks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.