Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt!

porta
porta Posts: 88
well after a loooong night, the ol' lady planned a surprise B-day party for me :) My original plan was to take the boat out and get some Redfish to cook up, Needless to say that didn't happen....Anyways, I ran up to Publix and got a Pork Butt for my Maiden Voyage, I filled the fire box up about 1/2 - 3/4 planning on a 4-5 hr. cook. Going to go low and slow (300-325) dome temp until about 160ish Internal, then I'm going to wrap and continue until 195ish internal. Wish me luck!!!

68% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Good luck! Happy Birthday! Welcome to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Happy birthday!  300-325 borders on roasting rather than low/slow which is typically in the 200-275 range.  But, I don't typically quibble on semantics.  Rather than internal of 160, which may be a little low, consider cooking until a thermapen or other digital thermometer goes in and comes out like a hot knife in butter.  I usually find this when internal reaches 190 or so.  My butts usually hit the stall or plateau around 150-160.  Once I hit 190, I TFC until internal is 205-210.  My 2 cents.  Celebrate!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Good luck-Happy Birthday.  Butt is pretty forgiving, enjoy the end results!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • porta
    @DonWW - Thanks for the 2cents. I would love to cook this bad boy all day. Unfortunately have to eat by 4. Sublime/311/Cypress Hill concert tonight so I'd rather be done early. I guess you could say I'm going to "turbo" it by wrapping in foil before the stall.
  • porta
    5 hrs. later..... it hit 160 in about 3, foiled for the rest of the cook

• porta
    Currently sitting in a cooler, waiting an hour or so to pull it. CAN'T WAIT!!!
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Looks so yummy and I am sure it will taste better then it looks. I love how it is pulling away from the bone!

nice cook. 
  • porta
    Mkline. My first cook on the BGE so I hope it's delicious!

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Great job....   Much more fun than fishing...
    Cookin in Texas
  • chumdog
    chumdog Posts: 39
    I just pulled two off after a 15 hour cook. 
  • porta
    boatbum said:
    Great job....   Much more fun than fishing...
    Debatable... HAHA. Definitely nice to know If I have a day off I can fire up the egg and produce some good eats. 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    welcome to the world of Egging I'm sure you will soon be addicted to the BGE as I am my wife a children gave me a large  for christmas and in side of a month I became a Eggahaloic  it is my new hobby and cant stop egging and talking about the Egg ,I usually cook pork butts  @225 until l get a internal temp of 190 and I dont open the egg until I reach 190 because if your looking your not cooking ,good luck enjoy your new egg 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mkline
    Well, how was it?
  • porta
    @Mkline - It was amazing! The moistest pork I have had (possibly ever). Next time I want to do a "low and slow" I really want some more bark development. The bark was still good just not as solid as I would have liked. I was blown away how easy the temperature control was. A few minor adjustments and I could dial it in wherever I wanted. I took the first hour or so just playing with the vents trying to get used to it. Bottom line - I cant' wait for my next cook!
  • porta
    By the way, I am amazed how fast the internal temp climbs when wrapped in foil. Wow!
  • Mkline
    congrats and welcome to the cult.