Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rib Technique Poll

I have typically done Baby Backs and almost always do a modified 3-2-1 with some time spent in foil in the middle of the cook. I wanted to take a quick poll as to how many out there use foil on ribs for some portion of the cook and how many just do the set it and forget it until they're done.
Clarendon Hills, IL
·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    Set it and forget it. And, even though you did not ask... dry rub only.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    set it and forget it
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,305
    no foil, no misting.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,930
    I've never foiled anything during a cook, not until a FTC.  Ribs, indirect, at 250, until they pass the bend test.  Never failed me.

That's the beauty of this.  There's quite a few ways to get things done and still get great results. It's whatever you're comfortable with and can get great results with.

Cheers!
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio

·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 349
    With my Bradley I did 3-2-1 with St. Louis style... So far egging has been foil free for me. 
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
    ·
  • I'm in the set it and forget it camp also.  I've done both ways and can get my ribs the way I like them (not fall off the bone but darn close) more consistently using this method.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • chumdogchumdog Posts: 39
    Foil free...50-50 apple juice/cider vinegar mist after couple hours every 30 min.  Bend test around 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours. 
    ·
  • I'm also in the set it and forget it camp.  I've used both methods and can get my ribs the way I like them (not fall off the bone but darn close) more consistently with this method.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • BillPinNCBillPinNC Posts: 68
    3-2-1 for me.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,762

+1 for X-0-0.  However, if some in attendance want "fall off the bone" then I will foil some to get that result. 

Louisville
    ·
  • 3-2-1 has been the best for me
    San Angelo, texas
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,880
    Rub smoke and time. No foil no spritz no mop no sauce. Just personal preference. Check for bend test around 4-5 hours

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • set it and forget it. no foil ever

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 176
    edited July 2013
    rub, set and forget until the bend test is successful. Then light on a vinegar base sauce and back on for 20 or 30 minutes.

·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 552
    No foil here.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,556
    3-1-1 for me @ 250

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,492
    dry rub no foil or sauce for myself and family. for a crowd however foiled sickeningly sweet ribs overcooked in foil seem to go over better here
    :))
    ·
  • If I were you, my buckeye friend, I would tightly foil them with a can of sardines. Throw 'em in the egg at 600 and don't pull them until the NCAA sanctions are lifted against OSU.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    If I were you, my buckeye friend, I would tightly foil them with a can of sardines. Throw 'em in the egg at 600 and don't pull them until the NCAA sanctions are lifted against OSU.
    @Fred19Flintstone, admit it... you're upset that he didn't add boil as one of the options.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 521
    3-1-1 for this guy. I like them falling off the bone!
    NW IOWA
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,513
    Let you know I'm 3-2-1ing some now for the first time !!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    set and forget - unless I get in a hurry then will use foil to speed it up.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • erbloveerblove Posts: 82
    No foil...dry rub...sauce here and there. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
    ·
  • WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    3-1-1

modified johnny trig style
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,338
    4-0-1. No foil for me and finish in bone sucking sauce for the last hour. Occasionally go rub only for 4-5 hours until bend test is passed. No foil for me on anything unless FTC a butt or brisket
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • VettemanVetteman Posts: 19
    I'm with Chubbs. But Sweet Baby Rays chipotle. No foil.
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,930
    Blues Hog Smokey Mountain sauce is my go to right now.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio

·
  • RV10FlyerRV10Flyer Posts: 135
    Set it and forget it.  Sauce at the end if someone requests theirs wet.

North Texas

XL BGE

·
  • gabrieggergabriegger Posts: 397
    Set and forget. Too busy drinking to get fancy.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

·