Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Instacure

I bought an extra brisket this weekend to do montreal smoked meat (starting tonight). Yesterday, I bought a bag of instacure at the super store. I had to go back to the butcher counter to ask for it. The guy brought a bag out from what had obviously been a refridgerated section as the bag was cold. I've never seen anywhere that instacure must be kept cold so I am curious if that is the case or, can I just store it in an air-tight container in the cupboard?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've never refrigerated it - would seem ironic to need to refrigerate a product used to cure meat so it doesn't need refrigerated.  Not that it matters to the question, but do you know if it's #1 or #2?
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That stuff is 6.25% sodium nitrite and the balance salt sodium chloride.  Very short shelf life relative to the age of the universe, needs refrigeration if you want it to last an extra few billions years. ;)
    edited July 2013
    Tjcoley said:
    I've never refrigerated it - would seem ironic to need to refrigerate a product used to cure meat so it doesn't need refrigerated.  Not that it matters to the question, but do you know if it's #1 or #2?
    It's a product called Readycure made by Canada Compound; from the research I did it seems to be 1% sodium nitrite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @TexanOfTheNorth - you said it was InstaCure and now you're showing ReadyCure.  You need to be very specific about cures - it is dangerous to use the incorrect amount - too little or too much can result in poisoning. I just want to make that clear, this is nothing to play around with.   There's a reason it's only sold diluted with salt, and that's to help protect users from killing themselves.
    @TexanOfTheNorth - you said it was InstaCure and now you're showing ReadyCure.  You need to be very specific about cures - it is dangerous to use the incorrect amount - too little or too much can result in poisoning. I just want to make that clear, this is nothing to play around with.   There's a reason it's only sold diluted with salt, and that's to help protect users from killing themselves.
    @nolaegghead, you're absolutely right. I did screw up my original post by using the wrong product name. Sorry for the confusion. I am following the recipe on this link

I used the measurements for the readycure product but, somehow, had instacure in my head.

Believe me, I take this stuff seriously, and do all of my "due diligence" before trying something for the first time.

I appreciate your pointing out my mistake.

@TexanoftheNorth - The original question about cold/not cold probably has more to do with the department separation at the grocery store.  It would count as sales from the meat department so they need to keep it in there area, but the meat department is always cold - so that's the only place they have.

I agree Ready Cure is 1% because it can be sold at retail in Canada.  The stuff you can get from spice houses is 6.25%.  There is a company in Burlington - Malabar Super Spice - that has a product called "Sure Cure" - it is 6.25% if you want to get a match to Instacure for easier calculations.

Instacure is like Kleenex - everyone says Kleenex when what they really want is a tissue.  In meat curing it's an easy slip of the tongue - but unfortunately there are products with a different %age of nitrite and it can make a difference.

I'll be following your smoked meat project - I really want to do that.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @BigWader, with regards to the cold storage... I figured that was probably the explanation; just thought I'd ask to make sure.

I'll let you know how the MSM turns out (in about 2 weeks).

Hope your Sunday on the Island when well!

@Texan of the North - was a perfect day thanks - not too many crowds, perfect temp, and well behaved kid that slept all the way home.  We got back on the Gardner at Jarvis, and she was asleep before we got to the Ex grounds.

:))

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    @TexanOfTheNorth, couple of years ago I bought a bag of Readycure directly from Canada Compound warehouse in Woodbridge.  I vaguely recall the sales clerk mentioned it should be stored air-tight, if the colour changed from white to yellow (or something like that) then it's been 'oxidised'? I store mine in a Foodsaver canister.  As for Superstore, I suspect it has to be secured in the butcher's area because they don't want customers to buy it without warning and/or don't want folks in the cooked food section use it accidentally as salt !?
    Do keep us posted of you MSM venture.

@TexanOfTheNorth and @BigWader, any of you going to Niagara fest Aug 11?  I plan to attend as taster.
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Canugghead... I'll be there with Mrs. TOTN as a taster as well.
    @Canugghead - I don't have any plans to attend - but then again - no plans for that weekend yet.  Wonder if SWMBO would be interested?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE