Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Cook

Options

A few times a year we have some really big cooks.  This is a picture of half of our pit at a friend of mines tractor equipment company that he owns.  The only guy I know that has a walk in beer fridge at work. haha  We clear out the shop and have parties for tractor pull weekends, and for customer appreciation day/ open houses.  This cook was about 870lbs of whole shoulders.  
Large BGE Decatur, AL

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Great picture. I'm curious to know how much airflow you get around those shoulders; as closely packed in as they seem to be.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Not very much judging by the temp on the lids.  This pit is direct using charcoal from a firebox to the side.  The meat is about 3ft above the coald.  We take a shovel with a 15ft long handle and scoop the hot coals from under the fire and into the pit.  We flip the shoulders at 12hrs.  It works out well.  We put them on at 10am, flip at 10pm and eat what sticks to the grate, and then take off at 10am the next morning.  It takes a lot of work and a lot of beer to cook it this way.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Sounds like a real fun project.  Too bad you live so far from me!

:@)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon