Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure treated or no? Table question

Options
Did you build your table with pressure treated wood? If not, how did you protect it from the weather?
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Pressure treated wood is treated with some nasty stuff to keep bugs from eating it.  You do not want food around pressure treated wood.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Many people have built tables with pressure treated except for the top where foot can contact - where they use a more expensive, but weather resistant material.

Also let it be known that they make some nice treated woods - kiln dried and heat-treated.  You can use almost any wood if you protect it properly - extreme treatments - marine epoxy, more common - spar varnish.  Even decking sealant helps, or oils.
    I used pressure treated wood because it was cheaper and I am a poor boy so every dollar saved is good. I keep mine under an outside cover and it works pretty well. because pressure treated wood does have some toxic chemicals in don't allow the food to come into contact with it. also expect some cracking and some warping. By the way, "if you want to double your money, fold it and put it back in your pocket, a quote from Mark Twain."
    San Angelo, texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Hmmm.  Picnic tables are often made of pressure treated lumber. 

The Naked Whiz
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Mine is not pressure treated.  We used three coats of spar eurathane on everything.  For additional protection, we bought just a regular tarp at Lowes and SWMBO, handy lady that she is, sewed it up so it's a decent looking cover.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Hmmm.  Picnic tables are often made of pressure treated lumber. 

That's a good point.  Personally, I don't prep or put food directly on my egg table.  Ever.  I use foil or cookie pans or baking pans.  Maybe some people do, and, in case they've lived under a rock, they should know that's a bad idea because the treatment chemicals are poisonous.
    Options
    Exactly nolaegghead.  My table was tile and red oak, but the food never touched the table, nevertheless.

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    maybe the fda lives under a rock or maybe i just cant find real info trying to google it but this is all i could find
    :))

Why shouldn’t treated wood be used for cutting boards or countertops?

The Food and Drug Administration discourages the use of any wood, treated or untreated, for cutting boards and countertops because these surfaces can become gouged during food preparation. Bacteria can grow in these gouges, creating unsanitary conditions in your kitchen. Only hard, abrasion-resistant materials should be used for cutting surfaces.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The FDA lives under a rock.  I've read a study that showed that wood cutting boards when properly santized have less bacteria on them than artificial surfaces.  But again, why would anyone put the food in touch with the wood on an outdoor table.  I'd be more worried about the bird crap.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The FDA lives under a rock.  I've read a study that showed that wood cutting boards when properly santized have less bacteria on them than artificial surfaces.  But again, why would anyone put the food in touch with the wood on an outdoor table.  I'd be more worried about the bird crap.
    Out of the 6 or 7 cutting boards I have, only one is plastic, and I throw it in the dishwasher after using it.  I prefer wood.  It's been common knowledge for years that wood cutting boards are safe.  I present this article back from the early '90s.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/10/health/wooden-cutting-boards-found-safer-than-plastic.html

That said, I wash my wood cutting boards and let them dry out before reusing them.  (hence the reason I have so many cutting boards). 
    Options
    ive been using the same old board at the camp to clean trout and salmon for 8 years now, all its gotten is a cold water rinse and its been outside on the table the whole time
    :D chartered fishing boats do the same with a seawater rinse and those boats get plastered with seagull crap
    :)) it does happen
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Like others have said, you probably wouldn't be putting the food directly on the wood, so maybe it isn't a big deal; nonetheless, just to be cautious, I wouldn't use pressure treated lumber.  I just prefer to avoid toxic materials as best I can.  Seems like particularly solid advice if you've got kids hanging around.  I built my table of redwood.  It hardly rains where I am, so I just sealed it with Thompson's and called it a day.  
    Southern California