Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Live Oak Question

Options
 I have been reading alot of good things about post oak and red oak. what is everyones opinion about live oak. I can get it anytime I want too but if the other stuff is better I need to know.
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use live oak.  It's excellent for beef.

Where are you located?  There are 600 different species of oak.  The stuff I use is ubiquitous in South Eastern Louisiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Quercus_species
    post oak is a type of live oak. Red oak is not. Both good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Is there any oak that you wouldn't want to use?
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yes, I would not use poison oak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_pubescens
    I live in San Angelo, Texas. There is more misquite here than anything but live oak is everywhere too. Haven't seen any posion oak but I'm sure it's here.
    San Angelo, texas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you don't want the live oak, I'll take any I can get. :)

I like the smoke flavors and tastes from high lignin woods, like live oak. Perhaps its because they have lots of vanilla-like compounds.

Also, on an entirely different line of thought, live oak may be one of the strongest woods in No. Am., and great for making super strong hiking sticks, which is another item I really enjoy.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gdenby said:

I like the smoke flavors and tastes from high lignin woods, like live oak. Perhaps its because they have lots of vanilla-like compounds.

Also, on an entirely different line of thought, live oak may be one of the strongest woods in No. Am., and great for making super strong hiking sticks, which is another item I really enjoy.
    The vanilla is what does it for me. There is a reason great wines and bourbons are aged in oak.....
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The live oak here is so frickin' hard it's tough to split.  Cuts fine with a chain saw.  I have a huge pile of logs.  I've spent a lot of money...first in wedges, then a Fiskars axe, then a hydraulic splitter....after 7 months, I'm just starting to split the stuff.  You really need a 10+ HP splitter.
    Options
    gdenby said:

The vanilla is what does it for me. There is a reason great wines and bourbons are aged in oak.....
    I tried making a rub that had vanilla sugar in it. I hoped it might make the flavor richer. Didn't. Just added a slight vanilla note that sat on top the pork flavor. So I'll stay w. wood smoke for  flavor.

BTW, vanilla sugar is great on waffles.
  • rdmudd
    rdmudd Posts: 24
    Options
    Live Oak is in the Red Oak family.
    Post Oak is in the White Oak family.