Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Split a rack of ribs

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Cooking one rack tonight. Is it harmful to the meat to cut the rack in half. I want to use some Head Country I have left but picked up some Sticky Fingers at publix and want to try it. Any suggestions on a rub that goes well with the original SF?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2013
    Options

I split them in  half all the time.  Also I have the butcher rip them down the middle into 1/2 or 1/3 sizes and sometimes cut those into individual pieces. Great finger food!

food.http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1238448&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1205528&catid=1Pork, Ribs, Baby Back, Oriental, Sweet & Sour, Chinese, Richard Fl

Walter Kei's Sweet & Sour Spareribs.  Walter Kei of Hong Kong likes to flour these spareribs and then deep fry them. But I, Grace Young, prefer pan-frying and then braising them.  Kei finishes the sauce with lime juice and butter; this twist reflects the innovative style of Hong Kong cooks.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Sugar
    1 tsp Cornstarch
    1 tsp Shaom Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
    1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
    1/2 tsp plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 Lbs Lean Baby Back pork ribs, cut into single ribs or even better in half also.
    1/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
    1/3 Cup Chinkiang or Balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp Butter, unsalted butter
    1/2 tsp Lime Juice
    1 tsp Lime Zest, Optional

PROCEDURE:

1. In a large bowl combine 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the sugar, cornstarch, rice wine, soy sauce and the 1/2 teaspoon oil. Add the spareribs and combine. Marinate 1 hour. Pat dry completely with paper towels. I do not see the need to dry unless you are deep-frying.

2. Heat a 14" flat-bottom wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1-2 seconds. Swirl in the remaining 1 Tablespoon oil and add the spareribs meat side down, spreading them in the wok. Reduce the heat to medium and pan-fry undisturbed 5 minutes, letting the spareribs brown. Then, using a spatula, turn the ribs over and pan-fry an additional 2 minutes.

3. Add the brown sugar, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/3 cup water to the wok and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the ribs meat side down. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender. Add the butter and lime juice and stir to combine. Garnish with lime zest if desired.

4. BGE Version: Seasoned as the recipe says then added brown sugar etc and placed them on the BGE large indirect at 400F for an hour or so.

5. Done:

Yield: Serves 4 as part of a multicourse meal

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Asian, Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/02/05*
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1205528&catid=1

Author Notes
    The Breath of a Wok, Grace Young & Alan Richardson Page # 188  400F indirect for an hour or so.

• awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options
    I have been wondering the same question, but was wondering about not being able to do the bend test?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    awm said:
    I have been wondering the same question, but was wondering about not being able to do the bend test?

I jst do the taste test.

• henapple
    Options
    I split them. I'll do the toothpick test... Might sample one.
  • henapple
    Options
    I split the rack but really had to. Big difference in the thickness... I've never seen before. Wife liked the sticky Fingers... Jacob and I the Head Country.