Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt - Anyone ever cover 2nd half?

Options
I have cooked about 4 Butts with good sucess. Havent really ever changed method. Rub with bad byrons, cook indirect at about 225 with apple/hickory smoke until 195 internal temp let sit for 1 hour and then enjoy. I was thinking about pulling and putting in a pan with some apple juice and covering with foil about half way through the cook this time and was wondering if anyone has experience doing this and could share their results.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Very common - same as covering in foil with some liquid.  Called the Texas crutch (lord help us the Texans need help in their Q).  Main advantage - makes it cook really fast.  Main disadvantage: bark is soggier.
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Not interested in a more soggy bark. Guess I will stick to same ol method.
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    @ljpick love the avi 

I have FTC's both of the butts I have done and they have been outstanding.  Also makes it a nice option if you want to bring your pork to a "pitch-in" and then you can pull it right there when the rest of the food is being served.

Just make sure you OK that with the host - as you don't want to upstage their burgers and dogs with some fantastic Q... I brought a butt over as my side last weekend - all 8lb went long before all the burgers and hot dogs.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    I've never foiled mid cook though
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN