Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another silly newbie question

Options
So I have another silly question I'm sure but here it is. When setting up for indirect cooking I get my xl to temp I want and then add my smoking wood and plate setter. My question is how long due i wait prior to adding my meat? Do I wait on the egg to stabilize again? If I should put it on and let it warm up with the egg then how do I add smoking wood?

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I add the wood, put the plate setter on and add the meat once the charcoal burns clean, not even waiting for the temp to stabilize. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    it's not a silly question and I'm a newbie myself but here is what I have done that works OK for me;

i get my fire going and give it time to be burning clean.....i then put the wood chunks in quickly and put the plate setter in.

i have been able to do that very quickly and then put the meat on as well.......i then stay with the egg for a bit to make sure the temp stabilizes where I want it to......no issues for me so far doing it like that.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    jlsm said:
    I add the wood, put the plate setter on and add the meat once the charcoal burns clean, not even waiting for the temp to stabilize. 
    I do the same.  Just make sure the smell is "good".

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I usually "bury" my wood under the top layer of lump.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    If I'm doing a long cook (especially overnight) here's the routine I follow.  (Never had a fire go out on me.)

1.  I clean out the old charcoal and get rid of any ash.  Want to make sure I have good air circulation.

2.  I try to put some of the larger pieces of lump near the bottom and then I fill my egg almost to the top of the fire ring.

3.  I light the lump with my weed torch.  (Cost me $19.99 at Harbor Freight Tools and it lights my coals in about 15 seconds.  LOVE it.)

4.  I leave the lid up and the vents fully open until the coals are going pretty strong.  Usually about 15 or 20 minutes.

5.  I mix the coals around a bit, drop in some hardwood chunks, and then put in my platesetter and grate.

6.  After that, I close the lid and adjust the vents (top and bottom) to about an inch each.  From practice I know that's going to be 250 degrees on my medium egg.

7.  I wait about 10 minutes or so, until the "bad smoke" is gone, and then I put my food on the grate and close up the lid.
  • It will take a good 30 min or so for the PS to come up to temp but if your fire is burning clean there isn't a reason to wait to put your meat on.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)