Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decisions: do two larges make a right

Options
Hi, longtime lurker, not often poster. Looking to expand. My egg, or ceramic collection, due to size. Have a large now, offered a great deal on a new large. Been looking at, and kind of dreaming of really, the XL. Look at other brands as well. Any have two larges? Does that combo work better than an xl or another brand? I get the savings on the eggcessoires, other than another plate setter, etc Looking for opinions, or thoughts. Thanks in advance. j

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options

I started with two larges way back when, a nice tandem to have.  Sharing accessories is a plus.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have two Larges (plus a well used Mini). Think of it this way: do you have two ovens in the kitchen? If not bet you wished you did on holidays. So easy and fast to do turkey and ham with two.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    Options
    I only have an XL, and I've never regretted having the extra space.  I think the main advantage of 2 of the same sizes is to share accessories, but if you have the $ to buy 2 then I assume that's not a big concern.  I suggest you buy an XL first and then figure out what you want to do next after you play with your new egg for awhile.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I have an XL, but two larges would be a good solution.  In fact I want a second smaller egg for when I need 2 different temps or just need a smaller cooking surface.  I'll probably get a medium.

If you have been dreaming XL, spend the extra bucks and get it.  Years of enjoyment is worth the price difference.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Does the thread title imply it could be wrong?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I went with two larges with the intention of sharing accessories but over time have fully outfitted both eggs with just about everything. As for the XL, I haven't really run into a situation where I needed more room for any cook except for the one time I did six boston butts and it would have been nice to fit them all on one egg.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Count me in to the two larges club.  I like being able to share the eggcessories.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Had two larges, sold one to get an XL, found a medium on CL.  I like the diversity but there's nothing wrong with the two large setup. I would have kept the second large but I had to appease the wife.

imageimage
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Two larges would be a great combo.  A large and and XL would be even better.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a medium which i know is the red headed stepchild of the egg world haha..but my next egg will be an xl just because my med gets the job done but when i have parties i need the extra space!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Arbucklej said:
    I have a medium which i know is the red headed stepchild of the egg world haha..but my next egg will be an xl just because my med gets the job done but when i have parties i need the extra space!
    Some of us think red heads are pretty hot.  :D 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I had 2 larges until recently. I got an offer I couldn't refuse on an XL but SWMBO required me to sell one large. It was great to share toys but i am finding I can use some things on my XL too. I love both options!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I have 2 large and likedb them so much I have to have an XL and my wife wanyed a small (she doesn't cook, I got the small. Shucks!). I don't regret any of them. But I do want a medium and a mini. Put them all on a trailer and I'll be fine.
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    Options
    Haha ragtop...I agree that some beautiful redheads exist...just like my med egg!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited July 2013
    Options

I am a one person household and have a small and a large for entertaining, which is really all I need.  I do think about getting a second large from time to time for large parties. I think having 2 larges is a good way to go.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.