Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Check them grate holes

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
Usually a stir, dump and light unless going low and slow. Did a pizza yesterday, which burned up most of the lump. Getting ready to dump in to fill the Egg for tonight's lamb chops and steak. Not much left over lump. After stirring what was left, noticed that at least 2/3 of the holes in the grate (original LBGE grate) were plugged with small chips of lump. Ended up cleaning out the Egg completely, clearing all the holes, and refilling with lump. If you are having problems getting up to temp, make sure you have good air flow thru the grate.

Comments

• GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 453
    Good PSA! Thanks
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,186
    If you're having grate problems I feel bad for you son, I got a high que grate and clogged lump ain't one.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,536
    High cue in both large and mini..........................great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,863
    The High-Q works, I still clean her out now and then and check the fire box holes. the little chunks are still heat producers so after cleaning the ash, I throw them in the bottom under the grate, they will burn....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • johannjohann Posts: 111
    I have a high-q grate too. Anyone have issues with low and slow with that grate? My original grate is split in half. I kinda just put the piece on the high-q the last time i did ribs. 

·
  • busmaniabusmania Posts: 298
    I bought a used egg which did not come with a grate.  So, instead of spending more money on a grate, I welded one together.  Works great, no clogs.
    ·
  • Wiggle rod
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,290
    johann said:
    I have a high-q grate too. Anyone have issues with low and slow with that grate? My original grate is split in half. I kinda just put the piece on the high-q the last time i did ribs. 

No problems here.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • Wiggle rod
    +1
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,519

The High-Q works, I still clean her out now and then and check the fire box holes. the little chunks are still heat producers so after cleaning the ash, I throw them in the bottom under the grate, they will burn....

+1

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • mikeb9550mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Was thinking of building one myself. High q stuff looks good but expensive. Going to price some 3/8 ss round stock.
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,277
    jaydub58 said:
    High cue in both large and mini..........................great!
    just ordered one on amazon
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·