Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked fireboxes

Hopefully to become a newbie soon. I have been researching all brands and it seems this forum is the most friendly and very active.  I have read a lot about cracked fireboxes. Is this a major concern and does hit happen to most BGE.  I've been a gasser for 20 years and the thought of changing is a little trying but I seem to be up to for a change.  As I said I have had the same Weber gas grill for 20 years. It's like getting rid of a close friend. 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome @Timba. Pull the trigger... you won't regret it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • After two years of frequent use my large's firebox had hairline cracks. Took pics and no questions asked had a new one at my dealers in one week! I didn't even have to send the old one back....I'm still using it. Next high heat fire i'm gonna toss it tho!

• The ceramic pieces of the Egg itself are covered by its limited lifetime warranty provisions.  So long as you (1) buy your Egg from an authorized dealer; and (2) promptly register the warranty (you can do it online), any damage to the ceramic pieces of the Egg resulting from normal and reasonable residential use is covered.  In other words, even if your firebox cracks during a cook, you can just get a replacement from your dealer at no cost to you.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Ive had my LBGE for about 6 years and so far ive had no issues with cracks. However BGE has pretty darn good customer service.

Dont wait make the change. In no time you'll be asking yourself why the heck you waited so long
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I cracked my firebox into 4 pieces 11 years ago.  I got a replacment which is still sitting in the garage.  As long as you can put the pieces back together and they stay in place, you can still use it.  Some dealers (probably based on who their distributor is) will just give you a new one off the floor or order one for their next shipment, no questions asked.  My dealer who has a distributor who is the devil incarnate was forced to have me supply pictures before the distributor would cough up the replacement.  If you run into difficulties with an individual dealer, you can always call headquarters and they will take care of you.  Cracked fireboxes just aren't a problem.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Just like above. Took in pictures and a new one sitting in the garage if ever needed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Naked Whiz
    Also, here is a source of information about it (tee hee): Cracked Firebox
    The Naked Whiz
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    I just got my new firebox and fire ring. Both were cracked. No issues sending in pictures. Shipping was a chore but whatever. 

I did notice the new firebox has a slightly different design. Looks to be to address flex during heating and not crack. It isn't uniform anymore. There is an open line from the top to where the charcoal grate goes. It's on the ash opening side. 

Works great so far!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

About a year or two ago, they started putting a relief cut in the firebox.  That seemed to fix the problem now that it can expand and contract.

• The Naked Whiz
    There are still reports of broken boxes with the new slit in it, but it seems to be much better.

The Naked Whiz
  • DavidL
    DavidL Posts: 41
    I have a cracked firebox and ring as well, but I continue to use it.  Even my metal charcoal grate is cracked.  However, it doesn't seem to have any affect on the operation of the cooker. I keep telling myself I'll go to my local dealer and get a replacement.

I encourage you to get a BGE and jump in with the rest of us.  Once you learn to cook on it (which is not hard with just a little experience and all the great help from the friendly folks on this site), you will be able to cook on anything.  It will even make you a better cook when you, from time to time, revert back to your gas grill.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Like others have stated, it's not a huge issue and the occurrence isn't that high.

I'm in the minority that I kept my gasser.  I absolutely love my XL BGE, but I didn't find any reason to throw the gasser to the curb.  It still comes in handy during football season for hot tubbed beer brats. I view it as a complimentary piece, not a replacement.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Timba
    Timba Posts: 34
    Good point YEMTrey! Thanks everyone for your response.
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    u r covered as long as u buy it from a dealer...get away from a gasser I am about to give away my gasser to my neighbor as I have not used it in over a year!
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I have had a little warranty glitch that worked out OK but I wanted to share it in case it will help someone else.  My fire ring cracked about 6 months ago.  As folks here have been saying, the Egg works fine with a cracked fire ring but I still wanted to get it replaced.  The dealer where I bought my BGE is not too easy to work with- for one thing they have very limited hours which are not convenient to my work schedule.  When I finally had a time to bring them my photos  when they were open and I didn't need to be at work (ie Saturdays in the summer months before 2 PM) they told me that I needed to send the photos to BGE and they would then authorize them to give me the part.  I told the guy I didn't think that is how it was supposed to work but he insisted that it was and I had no choice but to try it.  So I sent BGE an email with my photos and a copy of my original receipt (BTW, make a copy because those things fade to blank over time) and I got an email back from "Duane" saying that if I used them for warranty service I would have to pay shipping and I should instead take the photos to my dealer.  I explained to Duane what had happened when I did that and he then sent me back essentially the same instructions as he did the first time.  I then emailed him back with frustration and said basically that his repeating the same instructions did not really answer my question.  He then replied with an email that said essentially "take this email to an authorized dealer and they will give you the part".  So I forwarded that email to a different dealer (one with longer hours and email availability and who just started selling BGE so has a lot more enthusiasm for the product) and almost immediately heard back that I could come in any time to pick up the part under warranty no problem!

So, I don't know if we are supposed to first email BGE before going to a dealer if we want warranty service but that is how it ultimately worked for me.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    SaturdayFatterday I agree that they will replace any ceramic part but the part about no cost at all is not true I had a cracked fire on my LBGE and yes they replaced it but I had to pay $75.00 shipping fee 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited July 2013
    booksw, no you should never have to contact BGE about simple warranty claims.  The dealer should have handled it.  This is explicitly stated in the warranty on the BGE website.  Depending on how annoyed you are, you might write a letter to BGE about the dealer and copy the dealer.

Charlesmaneri, the shipping of replacement parts is not and has never been covered by the warranty.  Again, this is explicitly stated in the warranty.  This is another good reason to have the dealer handle it, since they will often not charge any shipping if you are willing to wait for them to have it shipped in their next normal shipment.   My dealer once gave me a part off the floor rather than make me wait.  Good dealers are your friend!

Lesson:  Read the warranty and give a copy to dealer if they are being difficult.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    The Naked Whiz I didnt go thru BGE I went to my dealer and was told that I would be responsible for the shipping which I thought would be something like $8 to $20 but it turned out to be $75.00 which I thought was kinda hi but it's all good 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.