Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Built a table for my XL

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited July 2013 in EGG Table Forum
I have had my Egg for about a month.  Looked over lots of pictures and plans, bought a stack of lumber, and dove into it this week.  It is not perfect, but I am really pleased with the result.  Used pressure treated pine for the frame, and cedar for the tops with a couple of ceramic inlays (need a place to set the hot Paella pan).  Also on the advice of the guy at Home depot, I used stainless steel screws, as the PT lumber supposedly dissolves lesser screws. 

One negative, I built to the dimensions on the Green Egg web site for an XL Table (32 x 60"), and bought the XL table cover.  Just to be safe checked the cover over the frame before laying the top and found it barely fit.  No room for nice hanging hooks or other stuff on the outside.  Had to downsize the top to 31" and the cover barely fits. 

Doing Pizza tomorrow, first attempt, I plan to post some pics

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Nice job, there is nothing better than being able to say you built something by hand that you're proud of. Looks great.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    Looks good. Makes me regret not taking shop class while in school.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

Looks good. MakeIs me regret not taking shop class while in school.

makes me regret being kicked out of shop..
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    Real nice! Look pretty solid. I need to build one soon but I just can't seem to find the time. 
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    your table is beautiful!  well done.....

question.....

if the table cover barely fits based on the dimensions you built which were off the BGE website......what dimensions would you use if you were building another table so that the cover would fit better?
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Love that you mounted the rails on the inside of the legs.  Makes it look less picnic table construction.  I used mortise and tenon construction, but that takes some more advance tooling.  What you did is the next best thing.
    Options
    I went back and carefully measured the cover and my table.  Where I ran into trouble is I made the table too long - 61".  A design change in process with a calculation mistake, and I ended up with a frame that was 2" longer than I wanted.  My table is 61 x 31" and as such the cover is a tight and inexact fit.  Note that the BGE manufactured table has a curved top at the egg end of the table, and their cover is also cut to accommodate that.

I made some careful measurements on the cover (which I did not have when designing), and have drawn up a dimensioned view of the top as it should be if you want to perfectly fit the BGE cover.  Again, this applies only to the XL.

Hope someone finds this useful.  I may try to disassemble part of the table and shorten it by an inch (or I may not, it would be a lot of work, and might ruin the table)
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY