Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fresh Market Lump

AcnAcn Posts: 1,083
Does anybody have any experience with The Fresh Market's store brand lump? Our local store has it on sale for $4.99/9 lb bag. Got one to try, but if anyone had a glowing report I might go ahead and stock up

Thanks!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• I used it a week ago. Not terrible but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase again unless the price was outstanding.
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    10 years ago, it was Cowboy.  I don't know about now.  Does it say anything on the bag?  I'll be reviewing the new Cowboy soon, FWIW.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Drewdlc17Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    I use it often. It has a great flavor. Seems to burn down pretty quick tho.
  • I have used it once. While it performed okay, there were many smaller pieces in the mix. Not as much medium/large. I had to buy it in a pinch. 
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I have used it once. While it performed okay, there were many smaller pieces in the mix. Not as much medium/large. I had to buy it in a pinch. 
    Just out of curiosity, when did you buy the bag, and was it like the old cowboy (looks like childrens play blocks) or like normal lump?

The Naked Whiz
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2013

@TheNakedWhiz I got a couple of bags a few weeks ago, but just opened and started using it this week.  It looks like normal lump and as noted above, it worked pretty well; started easily, burned VOCs quickly and was solid.  I've only done chicken breast and burgers this week, so I've stayed in the 375-425 range, so I can't comment on it's performance at the temp extremes, or an extended cook (although I can report on it when I do some ribs on Monday).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,634
    It's still Cowboy
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Speaking of Cowboy, does anyone live in Apex, NC and want to check the TJ Maxx to see if they have the Cowboy Gold or whatever they call it?  I just can't imagine calling them and getting a correct answer.

The Naked Whiz