Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to shrink a Nomex gasket

Options
My gasket replacement time was last year (or before) but I am finally facing the task.  I have a Nomex gasket.  How is the best way to shrink it before installation.
All tips are appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've heard of people putting them in the dryer.  I didn't shrink mine.  It had the self adhesive on one side and it's doing fine after about a year.  Lots o pizzas.
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, why would you want to shrink it?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    YnT said:
    The theory I heard was they shrink with heat and they'll come off if you don't shrink them.  My recommendation - follow the installation instructions that come with the gasket.  Mine said nothing about shrinking, I didn't shrink, and it's still holding up fine.
    Options
    Thanks
    I got it two years ago and I can't find any instructions.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    YnT said:
    The theory I heard was they shrink with heat and they'll come off if you don't shrink them.  My recommendation - follow the installation instructions that come with the gasket.  Mine said nothing about shrinking, I didn't shrink, and it's still holding up fine.

+1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• dayzed&confused
    Options
    I run mine through the clothes dryer at high heat for one cycle. That was two years ago and it is still working fine. I figured that if it was good for 1500 degrees then the clothes dryer can't hurt it and I think it did shrink some, although I didn't measure before or after.
    San Angelo, texas
  • dayzed&confused
    Options

Watch this video, it explains it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQdOvfLtrE

San Angelo, texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @dayzed&confused - did you have the self-adhesive nomex?

No. I applied the glue after putting the gasket in the dryer.

San Angelo, texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I think the self-adhesive gasket must be pre-shrunk, because of three reasons - 1. mine didn't shrink.  2. I would think the wax backing paper would come off in the dryer so they'd pre-shrink it if that were an issue.  3. Instructions don't say to pre-shrink. 

I don't see a problem with pre-shrinking the gasket without the adhesive, can't hurt, only help if it's not pre-shrunk.  But I would not recommend putting the self-adhesive nomex in the dryer.  Worst case, you'll get high heat adhesive all over your dryer.
    Options
    I put mine in the dryer.. Used the 3m spray glue. Sprayed it in a cup a brushed it on.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that if you have the gasket without any sort of adhesive on it, you must preshrink it lest it shrink after you install it and ruin the bond to the Egg.  If it has an adhesive on it, they must have preshrunk, else they would be having problems.

The Naked Whiz
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Yeah, the Bubba Tim video suggest putting the self adhesive gasket in the dryer, I would not do that myself.  But he is Bubba Tim so who knows. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    I put a nomex gasket on my egg a couple months back and did not preshrink it.  A small part of it did come off back by the hinge where the two ends met.  Not sure if it shrunk or I didn't use enough glue.  Applied more glue and no problem since.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If nothing else it might make it a little easier to bend it..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN