Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston butt and some ribs

Options
hey guys.....I did my first attempt at a Boston butt on Sunday and made some spare ribs as well.  I'm still a newbie on using my egg and cooking BBQ.....but some things went real well and I had issues with some other stuff.

the good;

1 ) the flavor of the ribs was good and much better than my last attempt.
2) the look of the ribs were better than my first attempt
3) the flavor of the butt was fantastic....very happy with that.  it was very moist and tender
4)  i had a fire in my egg all day and my lump lasted me without having to refuel for nearly 11.5 hours of burning.  temp control was consistent once i got it right.

the not good;

1) overall, my ribs were a bit overcooked as they had bone exposed and came off the bone too easily.
2)  the bark on the butt, while it looked good was too mushy and fatty.....it did not harden up at all.....I have since done some reading on it and it appears that I may be able to fix that next time by either not wrapping the butt or not using a water pan....in other words the outside of the butt was simply too moist.
3) i let my initial fire get too hot when i first fired it up and i spent nearly 45 minutes getting it cooled back down to cook the butt....lol....i wasted nearly an hour but lesson learned.
4)  my plate setter now looks like a small sacrifice was made on it.....i forgot to place foil on it to help with the cleanup so all the drippings outside of the pan went all over my plate setter....pissed me off but another valuable lesson for next time.

all and all I am pleased with yesterday's results but I know i can do better next time.....cooking on this egg is addictive!!!!

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    The good thing is that your bad is not that bad.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Exactly. That looks like a great meal.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Nice work! 

And nice granite.. Looks like what we have.. SWMBO and I could only agree on one, and of course it was the most expensive the place carried..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    My Egg will be delivered this Friday and I hope to achieve results half as good as yours!  Question though, am I the only one who likes my ribs with the bone exposed and the meat coming off the bone with no resistance?
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    thanks guys! 
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Meat properly cooked will pull from the bone

Correct about the bark... I turbo mine most of the time... I'm not a bark nazi

Letting the fire get too hot merely makes more time for cocktails

Your placesetter is fine. Greasy with pork drippngs. That's how I like my women.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN