Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vodka Style Pizza

Options
Hey all!

Got carried away with my pizza cook today and figured I would take photos. My wife makes a vodka style sauce with fresh lump hot Italian sausage, so logically, on the pizza it went! The dough was made earlier this week using Kenji's recipe from Serious Eats.
Thoughts on temp? I cooked at ~550, with a decent outcome, but did the same last week at ~750, and almost destroyed the crust.

Either way, pizza off the egg rocks! Thanks for reading!

-ed

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great in addition to the fresh mozzarella, what cheese did you use?
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    Options
    Fresh ricotta and store bought mozzarella. Fresh mozzarella is so damn expensive around here, almost $8 a ball...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice melt on the cheese. Ricotta looks like it worked well. Thought it was fresh mozzarella, but looks darn good.
    Options
    @tjcoley Thank you. It was delicious!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good. Which on of Kenji's recipes did you use?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• eddiepro
    Options
    @Griffin Basic Neapolitan... On the serious eats website
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Why do you say it was "decent"? It looks great! What were you looking for?

Options
    I'll have to try that one. I've done his New York style one and really liked the results.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• eddiepro
    Options
    @paqman thank you for the props! SWMBO thinks that I am overly critical of my own cooking, which is probably true. I was looking for a little more crust rise and topping char, there's always next time!
  • paqman
    Options
    Topping char - The only way to achieve that is to raise the stone as high as you can in the dome while still allowing airflow.

Crust rise - I looked at the recipe you used. The ingredients and ratio are the same as the recipe I use. However, in my opinion, the resting times are way too long. I let my dough rest at room temperature for a max of 2 hours and then it goes in the fridge (for up to 5-6 days) or gets user immediately. If using after being placed in the fridge, I let it rest for about 30 minutes at room temperature (after shaping).

I'll post the exact steps when I am in front of my computer.

Do you have a stand mixer?

Options
    @paqman Yes, I have tried raising more, however with the XL stone, there is little room as is. As for rise, this was an older dough that just refused to cooperate earlier in the week, so back in the fridge it went. It was respectable for what it was.

I will try decreasing the rest time to see what my results can be.

I love my KitchenAid
  • paqman
    Options
    You want to use the dough while it is still rising before it peaks. After 2 hours at room temperature it should have doubled in size. You can then "punch" it down and portion it. You can use some right away, shape it and let it rest about 30 minutes before baking. The rest can be stored in the fridge for a few days.

Options
    Cool will give it a try!