Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can anyone offer tips, tricks or advice on installing Rutland gasket with the Permatex Ultra Copper?

Options
I have read the Naked Whiz installation instructions on installing the Rutland gasket with the supplied cement, and i also read the write up of Frank Smith on how to apply just the Permatex Ultra Copper gasket. I guess I assumed that using Permatex Ultra Copper gasket applied in a similar way as the Rutland cement, but, that does not appear to be the case. The permatex is actually a gasket applied with a jig to get a 'cushion' for the dome to sit on. When applied like that, does the Rutland gasket still get applied the same way (bunched up)? Or, do you not need the thickness of the permatex shown on the site when using permatex with the Rutland? Just wondered if anyone could offer some 'how to', suggestions or tips of what worked well for them, when using the Permatex in combination with the Rutland? Thanks in advance.
If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    What size egg are you planning to apply the Rutland gasket on as it makes a difference. Do not mix and match the two sets of instructions you mentioned. Seeing that I have supplied well over 800 Rutland gaskets to folks over the past 11 years I might have some "street cred" OK? BTW if you go back and re-read TNW write up you'll see those were a condensed version of my instructions.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    Ron, my apologies for not giving you the credit on TNW's web site. Yes, I did notice that the instructions was your write up. I am installing on a large egg. Wanting to use the Permatex Ultra Copper and the Rutland, as both come highly recommended here.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    No problem about the credit...what I meant was I have supplied gaskets for years for no personal gain.  BTW my other detailed reply was sent in reply to yours! ...let's see if it makes it's way through the DM maze here! Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    When I put my Rutland on in December, I just did a thin zig zag bead using the Permatex.   It has worked flawlessly, I couldn't be happier.  One tube was enough to do my large BGE.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This