Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointing ribs

I tried my hand at ribs tonight and was disappointed. The ribs were tough with a lot of fat. I used car wash Mikes method. 225 for three hours, mist every hour with apple juice/ACV, 250 for 2 1/2 hours and then mop and 15 more minutes at 275. The ribs bent in half easily, the meat receded from the bone an inch and a half but. They were juicy with great flavor but super fatty and FAR from fall off the bone....Are there any cuts of ribs with less fat?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    What cut of ribs were they?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Tbonez3858
    Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
    Baby back..Is St Louis better?
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Maybe you just got a bad set of ribs. 
  • Chris_Wang
    IMHO, yeah... St. Louis is the way to go. SWMBO loves spare ribs, so that's what we do. Check out Aaron Franklin's ribs on YouTube (BBQ with Franklin). That's what we do. Good luck next time!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    BTW, I have the original Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa to thank for our love of spare ribs. "Son, we got ribs, ribs, or ribs...whatchoo want???"

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I had bad luck on car wash mikes method too using baby backs. I think I need to use spare ribs nextime too.
    NW IOWA
  • n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    I think you have to cut off alot of the fat  before you apply rub.  First take off the membrane, and then cut off alot of the fat.  I do this with beef ribs (my favorite) and they turn out great.  Same thing for pork ribs.
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Sounds like the ribs were not trimmed well from the butcher.  I've used Car Wash Mike's method a few times and the ribs were great (although I didn't spritz or mop).  I'd give it another shot; maybe buy ribs from another source first.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited July 2013
    I cut off the fat where there are big layers and try to expose the meat.  Look at the thicker end of the ribs and you'll see a layer of fat sandwiched in between the meat on the smaller length ribs.  I'll open that up and get most of the fat out.  If you go too far, you'll end up separating the meat from the bone. If it happens, don't worry, you can cook that up too.  I'll also remove the membrane. Takes about 10 minutes a slab with St Louis style.

I do mine without foil and misting, but that's another topic. ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    St Louis style is an easier cook, they are more evenly shaped with less fat. Get the hang of them, then move to BB. You will know when to trim and when not to.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I never have to trim baby backs, but a lot of times the St. Louis spares I get require quite a bit of fat removal.

Wife prefers BB's and I always buy the smallest ones I can find.