Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Should you clean cedar planks with soap?

Is dish soap ok on a plank you plan to use more than once? Or will soap residue get into the wood and vaporize into the egg when you use it again?
Southern California
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 13,834
    Just wipe with water...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    i don't bother reusing mine but, if I did, I would not use soap on them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    We get 5 or 6 cooks out of our planks.  We scrub with a dishwashing brush and light soap.  Rinse well afterwards.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    I scrub them with a brush and then put them in the Egg after the cook, usually 250-300F dome, so that the heat will kill whatever and so far that seems to work well.
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I think it would depend.  If the plank was hard and smooth like a cutting board, I suppose you could use soap, although I'd probably scrape it with a food scraper myself.  If the plank was porous, no way I'd use soap.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 461
    Ok, will do my best to avoid soap. Thanks for the help!
    Southern California
    ·
  • BearlodgeBearlodge Posts: 45
    Anyone ever use a light grain sandpaper to bring back that great Cedar scent?
    ·