Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breakfast casserole! Wow is this good! w/ pic YUMMMYYYYYY!!!

Options
I got this recipe from a friend and wow was it amazing!  It is very easy just mix it all in baking pan or aluminum pan like one in pic.  

Ingredients:

2lbs hash browns
1/2 cup melted butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1 bag of sausage crumbles
5 jalapeños sliced very thin
Salt and Pepper to taste!

Cook at 350 indirect legs up for about 35-40 minutes.

This is one of the best dishes I have ever made.  You will love it! Leave the jalapeños out if you have a non spicy loving crowd!  If your group loves cheese just add more. You can also sub low / no fat ingredients to make it healthier with little change to the taste.

This is what it looks like when done:

Comments

• Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    Looks awesome!  I love the breakfast casserole. 

LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Were the hash browns frozen?
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    Options
    Yes they were frozen. That was just easier

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's great!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• cdees_1993
    Options
    It really is tasty and can be very spicy depending on how many jalapeños you decide to include.  I would like to add spicy sausage and maybe Bacon to it!

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options
    Love the idea, I'm book marking this for next weekend. Thanks!

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Making this for the fam in the morning.  Wife made me get turkey sausage and light sour cream but I will try to enjoy it despite that.  Going to do it in a big cast iron skillet.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • We do something similar but add a bunch of eggs to it and bake. Perfect breakfast meal.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this looks great.    Will try this someday no doubt.

• dweebs0r
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Made this recipe this morning.  Cooked on the egg at around 375.  Used a cast iron skillet for a pan.

A few modifications I made:  only used 2 jalapenos (they were fresh from the garden and really hot), used turkey sausage and light sour cream, sprinkled a handful of real bacon bits (didn't have any bacon on hand).  Also I sprinkled BGE brand sweet maple rub on the top.  The picture makes it look burned on the edges but once it was all mixed up it was just right.

photo IMG_20130721_103950_zpsf2a7ff99.jpg
  • cdees_1993
    Options
    @dweebs0r that looks great in the cast iron!  I actually used no fat sour cream and it was just as good as full fat.  I love the idea of adding bacon as that makes anything better!  Never thought about the maple rub what were your thoughts on that?  So overall what did you think of the taste?

• Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Options
    @dweebs0r. Looks great. Did you cook direct or indirect? Assuming direct and for how long?
  • dweebs0r
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys.

@cdees_1993 The maple rub is great.  One of my favorites on just about anything.  On this dish it didnt add much to the overall flavor because all the other stuff overpowered it.  Taste-wise, it was a really good dish.  I bet it'll taste even better warmed up later.  Makes a whole lot of food!  As a side note with the maple rub, I like to cut up summer sausage and pepper jack cheese in cubes and sprinkle the maple rub on it for an appetizer.  Really good!

@Pghegger  Actually I cooked it indirect for about 35 minutes at 375.  I threw in a handful of apple chips to gives it a little smoke and it seemed to get into the meal despite the cast iron.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Very nice. DIL has similar recipe with peppers. Have made her recipe at Salado fest
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cdees_1993
    Options
    I did mine indirect and it came out great.  It does make a whole lot of food @dweebs0r.  I have the maple rub and have tried it on chicken without a lot of success.  I was hoping it might give it a mountainy pancake taste possibly.  
    IT IS VERY GOOD WARMED UP!  Even good cold believe it or not.  LOL!  Just a good all around dish.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Wow !!! =P~ bookmarked!
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    We used the leftovers tonight and folded it into omelets with cheese and more bacon.  Good stuff.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @cdees thanks for the recipe I will be cooking this tomorrow morning at the eggtoberfest. Just prepped it now.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Looks awesome. Do you think if I added about 4 or 5 scrambled eggs they would cook to fast?

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• cdees_1993
    Options
    six egg,  I am not sure how the egg would cook up.  If you mixed them in they would probably be fine I would think!