Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something new (?) - Smoked BBQ Almonds

Hello All -
I've had an idea I've been wanting to try for a while now and final got around to it today. Made smoked BBQ flavor almonds. They turned out really good and a feel like a few small tweaks might send them over the top. Here's a quick run down:

Started with some plain roasted almonds (first thing I'd want to change is starting from plain, RAW almonds, but had a bit of a miscommunication on the shopping run...). Mixed some Blues Hog BBQ sauce with just a dash of apple cider vinegar and mixed the almonds around in there to coat thoroughly. Onto that I sprinkled a dose of JohnHenry's Sugar Maple Rub (second thing I'd consider changing is to add a bit of brown sugar as well, but we were out [really not a terribly efficient shopping run...]).

Spread that all out onto a sheet of foil and got the egg fired up and stable at 350 with one smallish chunk of apple. Waited for clear, nice smoke. Set up direct, raised with a clear spot (no lump, no heat) directly under where I wanted to put the almonds. Dropped them on for about 12 minutes, only checked them once @ 7min.

After 12min a few on the edges were getting dark on the bottom and they'd shed a fair bit of oil, so I pulled them off. Brought them in to rest and decided to try and get rid of some of the oil by spreading them onto a paper towel. The third things I'd want to change next time is ditching the paper towel, because as they cooled they stuck and some have a little scrap of PT attached...

These turned out really nice, and the wife and son LOVE them. I'm hypercritical but I thing they're right on the verge of greatness. The JH sugar maple rub gave the a nice sugary coaing even without brown sugar, but I think the brown sugar might be nicer. I'd also like to give them a bit of spice, so next time I'd probably change rubs and add in the brown sugar.

The REAL win was crunching them up on top of vanilla ice cream. THAT was outstanding.

Cheers all -
B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Nice! My husband roast raw almonds every week and I've definitely thought about trying them on the egg. Need to get on it!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Thanks @Jamieoro. What temp/time do you use? I assume in the oven?

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • I have cold smoked raw almonds on the egg.  They turned out fantastic.  I took some in to work one day so I could snack.  My coworkers ate some and the next thing I knew, they were expecting a weekly supply of almonds, which they chipped in and bought.  I used the recipe out of the book Charcuterie.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180

Thanks @Jamieoro. What temp/time do you use? I assume in the oven?

B_B

Not sure... My husband makes them and usually overcooked them so I wouldn't recommend his recipe :)
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Haha, good to know. 

One more thing to note, I left a few of these out over night and they pulled a ton of moisture out of the air. They still tasted good, but they lost the candy crunchy texture and got quite sticky. 

Some others that were in a sealed container are still the way they were last night when they cooled.

Cheers
    B_B

Middleton, WI