Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Thermapen and red burgers

So my Thermapen has bubbles over it.. Almost like blisters from the heat... Is that a problem? Also I made some kickin burgers. Cooked them to 165 checked with Thermapen... And they were the red color on the I side.. Didn't bleed or taste raw.. But certainly looked the part. Thoughts?
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,950
    edited July 2013
    Did you mean inside? Mine sometimes get a reddish hue from the smoke reaction. It goes really deep due to the ground meat as opposed to the "ring" on a solid piece of meat.
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,698
    Yeah I could've see that eggcelsior. I did use quite a bit of smoke since its a fast cook. What about the thermapen? Anyone experience it bubbling
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 479
    Regarding the "bubbling" on the thermapen, how are you using it? As this is an instant read thermometer if the heat was high enough to bubble the pen then I am sure it also bubbled your skin. Do you have a photo of the pen?
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • krameskrames Posts: 57
    The bottom of my thermapen is starting to bubble a little bit. It almost looks like Braille. I have been meaning to ask if that was common myself.
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,698
    when i check temps over a hot fire..i usuallly wear gloves.  So its possible that it just got so hot..it began to bubble up.

@krames yeah it is like braille, you can push down on it and it will make a "pop" sound and come back out
    ·