Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who is your BBQ hero?

I would like to know who you read and take advise from.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cen tex
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Since I have never really read a bbq book, I've found that practice makes perfect ... I am still far from perfect.  Learned more from bbq forums as I worked my way though different cookers over the years than anything.  
  • Almost everything so far was from the Nakidwhiz site or all the great people here.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2013
    It's the Egg Forum! Some on here obviously post more than others so there's more opportunity to take from them and rightfully so. But I enjoy reading what most people post or advise, especially in response to my posts, which often surprises. From that I take the missing nuggets that fit into 'my game' and see where they go. Sometimes it's just a missing piece, sometimes a section, sometimes the puzzle gets turned 90 degrees, sometimes we start over and it ends up being a different picture. And sometimes I'm able to help someone else! Either way, it's interesting especially when you think you had something figured out. So it boils down to the interaction, the ability to give and take, ask and receive, and discuss over a cold one or two. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    In addition to the members of this forum, I have learned a fair amount from Steve Raichlen. He figured out a way to make a living traveling the world and learning how other cultures cook and sharing it with others.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    My foundation was set from Steve Raichlen's book How To Grill, but I have really ascended to new heights from the help of this forum.  
  • Growing up, my Dad & my uncle. I have surpassed their skills (I think), but they were great to learn from growing up. I don't have BBQ heroes anymore. I look at cooks and think "Man, that's cool! I gotta try that!" Monkey see, monkey do.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Stike
    @HENAPPLE. The OO dude & a bit of a loose cannon me thinks. =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Stike !
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    For me, it's Chris Lilly and Ken Hess.  Those two have helped me immensely and are just good people.   Plus Ken is a bonafide Egghead. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Chrisnjenn
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2013
    I would have to say our cook Etta, my great aunt Eva, some of the cooks out in the country I watched and learned from, but above all my mother..She taught how to q and how to taste the food with my mind and then put recipes together. BTW I have never been able to duplicate her Divinity nor her deviled eggs, come close, but missing just something..
    What I like to read are old cookbooks (20s, 30s, 40s and 50s )and Cook's Illustrated.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Nola is always helpful and quick to respond, so he gets the nod!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Foghorn said:
    In addition to the members of this forum, I have learned a fair amount from Steve Raichlen. He figured out a way to make a living traveling the world and learning how other cultures cook and sharing it with others.
    +1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    SamFarrise
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    VI
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Mickey said:
    VI

:x

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Dr.BBQ (Ray Lampe)
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I guess me. Went to the BBQ school of hard knocks.

I  must admit though I learned a lot from this site. To all of you before me a thank you!

Now that my neighbor is getting one I can nurture her. And maybe her husband who doesn't cook much.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• For me its been a village, a mixture of many people.  Chris Allingham site continues to be a great resource as it's well organized providing the basics.  I really have enjoyed layering in Chris Lillys, Johnny Trigg, and Henry Soo recipes.  Lately Aaron Franklins brisket YouTube video resulted in a best brisket cook.  I've also been to the American Royal a few times and learned a ton walking and talking with the teams.  Everything combined makes BBQ so enjoyable as different days bring different people and flavors that influence my cooking.