Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help deciding

Options
So I have a Lrg egg and have built a table for it. Wife and I r building a house and have an out door kitchen planned. We have planned to put in an egg, here is the question, should I opt for an XL or stay with a Lrg and have two Lrgs. I figure I could take my current Lrg and put it in the new kitchen, but why do that when I have the green light to double my BGE capacity... Thanks for any and all insight

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Keep the L, add an XL. Wait, was that one of the options?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Whatever you can afford is your best option. I have a large, a medium and a small, but don't have a completely functional outdoor kitchen. If you cook for a large amount of people frequently then get a XL, however two larges would be my option.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Getting a second large will mean all your accessories are interchangeable.
    Dunedin, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited July 2013
    Options
    +1 with @yazzi-the benefits of sharing the toys is huge!  I suspect that you have multiple cooking level equipment for your LBGE now-so the second one would be for the different style cook-i.e. direct on one and indirect on the other!  That's a setup we would all wish to have!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    agree with the second large recommendation. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Think a bit about how many people you cook for.  If you feel you cook for a really large group somewhat regularly, then the XL may be the way to go.  I not, why spend the extra money for the XL? In that case having two larges will probably work just fine.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I would probably get an XL and dedicate one to long slow meat cooks with a plate setter and one to baking and high heat short cooks. If you are going to spend coin on an XL, just go ahead and set it up for how you plan to cook with it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Go with the XL, build them in and don't forget to make a place for a hot PS, then I would add a small/mini just to do a couple steaks and a side or 2. Plus you could take the small or mini on the road! I can talk some sh_t but to be honest my wife would never let me do what I have just suggested. Bless You Young Egger!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE