Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maximum number of wings on XL BGE

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,795
Apparently the limit to wings on a XL BGE is approximately 72.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Looks awesome. Give some recipe details. How did you prepare them? How did you cook?
  • Foghorn
    Just started them.  Made a rub using leftover rub from a butt - combined with John Henry chicken rub and cornstarch.  Cooking them raised direct at 400.  Going to make some sauce using Datil Pepper hot sauce and some barbecue sauce - or whatever I find in the fridge....  Sorry for poor details but I'm just throwing stuff together that is laying around in partial bottles that I need to get out of my rub cabinet and refrigerator....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That's for only one level.  Get the Adjustable Rig and add two more levels to that!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    There were so many wings that I think they blocked the airflow.  However, they cooked by radiant heat and were overcooked - although many of my family and guests liked them that way.  I mixed a sauce of Datil Pepper Hot Sauce, plus a Cajun Garlic sauce, plus Stubb's Wing Sauce - about 1/3 each (because I had some stuff I needed to empty out).  They went about 15 minutes per side but I could have shortened that to 10 per side and they would have been better.  The pic is with about 2/3 of the wings ready to come off the grill.  The other half were already off with no sauce for the kids.

San Antonio, TX

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Wings look good. Thanks for the count! Good to know for future planning.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Looks awesome, but that seems really fast to be overcooked. What temp?

Love that JH chicken tickler, is that the one you used? Great stuff.

Cheers

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    I hope you wrist is okay after that wing turning work out.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Foghorn

@Black_Badger, the dome temp was reading 300 but like I said, the wings themselves were probably blocking the airflow so I suspect that the temp on the underside of the wings facing the fire was somewhat hotter.

And yes, it was the chicken tickler.  I've been pleased with several John Henry rubs. 

San Antonio, TX