Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Duck

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to do this cook on a duck what temp would you use ? direct or indirect? and would you raise the grid? any suggestion as to the rub and finishing sauce thank you

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Marvelous,
    I have spatchcocked and roasted on a raised grid using a drip pan with excellent results. Lot's a grease comes off the duck and the drip pan was loaded. I've cooked'em low-n-slow and hot-n-fast, liked the fast cook best. I use Chinese marinade and whole star of anise seed for the smoke, 400-450 dome. A small and tender duck works good for the quick cook.
    Hope this helps,
    Clay

• egger ave
    Options
    Marvelous,
    I remove all of the visible fat from the duck and pierce the skin of the duck with a fork so the fat drains off as it melts. I think duck tastes best when it's cooked on the rare side. 170 internal temp at the thickest point inside the thigh.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Marvelous,[p]I usually cook just the duck breasts (It's my favorite part of the duck). I cook them fat side down (score the fat first) over direct heat at about 250/275 degrees until the internal temp of the breast is 145 degrees. It takes about 30 minutes.[p]I also pre-glaze the breasts with chili bean sauce glaze (China Blue makes an excellent one).
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    About how long does it take for whole bird?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    My favorite glaze for duck is simply 1 part orange marmalade, 1 part honey.  Warm it on the stove so it thins a bit on the stove, then paint the bird with it when you have about 1/2 hour left to go.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I've done quite a few ducks on the BGE, never spatchcocked one. I usually do indirect around 350 dome, sometimes kicking up to 425 for last 20 minutes to help crisp up skin. You'll definitely want a drip pan. Piece skin (careful not to pierce into meat) to allow cat to render out. 24 hours uncovered in refrigerator helps dry out skin. .
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.