Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Spatchcocked Duck

MarvelousMarvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to do this cook on a duck what temp would you use ? direct or indirect? and would you raise the grid? any suggestion as to the rub and finishing sauce thank you

Comments

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,412
    Marvelous,
    I have spatchcocked and roasted on a raised grid using a drip pan with excellent results. Lot's a grease comes off the duck and the drip pan was loaded. I've cooked'em low-n-slow and hot-n-fast, liked the fast cook best. I use Chinese marinade and whole star of anise seed for the smoke, 400-450 dome. A small and tender duck works good for the quick cook.
    Hope this helps,
    Clay

• Marvelous,
    I remove all of the visible fat from the duck and pierce the skin of the duck with a fork so the fat drains off as it melts. I think duck tastes best when it's cooked on the rare side. 170 internal temp at the thickest point inside the thigh.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • Marvelous,[p]I usually cook just the duck breasts (It's my favorite part of the duck). I cook them fat side down (score the fat first) over direct heat at about 250/275 degrees until the internal temp of the breast is 145 degrees. It takes about 30 minutes.[p]I also pre-glaze the breasts with chili bean sauce glaze (China Blue makes an excellent one).
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 534
    About how long does it take for whole bird?
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,134
    My favorite glaze for duck is simply 1 part orange marmalade, 1 part honey.  Warm it on the stove so it thins a bit on the stove, then paint the bird with it when you have about 1/2 hour left to go.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.

Ogden, Utard.  
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 644
    I've done quite a few ducks on the BGE, never spatchcocked one. I usually do indirect around 350 dome, sometimes kicking up to 425 for last 20 minutes to help crisp up skin. You'll definitely want a drip pan. Piece skin (careful not to pierce into meat) to allow cat to render out. 24 hours uncovered in refrigerator helps dry out skin. .
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.