Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

:HELP: California style Pizza cookoff competition

YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,104
I have been chosen to participate in a cook off with some fellow beer enthusiasts of mine.

The theme is California pizza and two sides.  I have wanted to do a pizza for a long time and with this being my first, it should be interesting.  I'm coming to my fellow Eggheads for ideas.  Pizza ideas.  Side ideas.  As well as can't miss dough recipes and cooking procedures.

I'm really excited to learn how to cook pizza on my XL Egg, but I don't want to embarrass myself at the same time.

Thanks for your help and feedback.
XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
"REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
·

Comments

• brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 359
    All of my pizza efforts have been on the safe side, tomato paste, mozzarella, fresh basil, pepperoni. I've heard it's best to think of pizza dough as a blank canvas. Whatever you like. Or whatever your kids will eat.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    When I think California style pizza, the toppings are what stands out.  Thin crust, topped with tomato sauce or pesto, topped with any combination of artichoke hearts, avocado, goat cheese, arugula, portabella, chicken, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli rabe or any fresh seasonal items.
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Tjcoley said:
    When I think California style pizza, the toppings are what stands out.  Thin crust, topped with tomato sauce or pesto, topped with any combination of artichoke hearts, avocado, goat cheese, arugula, portabella, chicken, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli rabe or any fresh seasonal items.
    I agree with one addition use fresh ingredients if possible.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 826
    Also do several pizza cooks before the main event! You Might as well have your set-up set-up  right!
    ·
  • finsterfinster Posts: 126
    Gotta go green for Cali style.  Pesto or carrot puree base.  Avacado a must.  I did a pesto, split green grapes, gorganzola topped with pine nuts recently.  Think bright.

MBGE in Charleston

·
  • I tend to definitely prefer thin crust.  I think I found the best book on these thin crust pizzas, as well as easy crust recipe inthe book.  And the crust is cooked on both sides--one side is first grilled on the grill grate, then that cooked side becomes top of the pizza--and this firms up thin crust so you can load up with ingredients.  Here is a link to my posts on prior pizza cooks--including photo of the book, crusts, etc.  Good luck--I do highly recommend the book pictured in the post--very creative and different combos of toppings in the book:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1184253&catid=1#

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1184253&catid=1#

·
  • Sorry--I double posted the link to prior pizza cooks--here is correct link to the second cook

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1186719&catid=1#

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,104
    Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.  One I get more details on the comp, I plan on doing a couple of test runs.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·