Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo2 or Woo3 or no Woo?

Options
I've been reading about these products and don't really understand the real benefit other than it raises the grilling surface up and helps with getting the plate setter in and out.   I'm sure there are other features and benefits that I have missed.  For those of you that have purchased this product it would be appreciated if y'all would share your pros and cons on the Woo2 and Woo3 for a large BGE.  Thank you!  
Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Woo3, good quality and efficient in swapping PS in and out.
    If you want to use a $1k BBQ w/some bricks instead of $60, go for it. But for a clean look , quality product its worth it.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Pic..Woo3, PS, drip pan.
    On a low and slow adding wood or fixing a lump issue is a quick lift away.
    Seattle, WA
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    AR is worth considering to.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    AR is worth considering to.

+1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I bought the XL Woo2 with the stone in lieu of the plate setter.  Provides indirect cooking with a stone, raised direct, and a lower level that I put my CI grid on for searing steaks and lamb chops.  I'd probably consider the Woo3 for a large, although buying the spider separate has appeal.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    I have neither but am going to ask SWMBO for the Woo 3 to be under the tree for Christmas
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have the Woo3. Works good for getting the hot plate setter out, provides a good raised grid and will hold my wok Hasn't been out of the egg since I bought it

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Double post

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I have the Woo3 and use it most of the time, with a plate setter it's a no brainer. That said, I also have the spider for searing and cooking on the wok.

And I still might get the AR due to peer pressure. ;)
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    I have a Woo but don't know what number.  I'm guessing it's a Woo2, if the the Woo3 is the one that has handles.  If so, I'd go with the Woo3.  Can't remember why I didn't go with the Adj Rig, but I am sure it was a good reason at the time.  I am very happy with the Woo cooking options.  It works great for my style of cooking.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Since you mentioned a plate setter I'm assuming you mean the PS Woo2 or PS Woo3 and not the Woo3 (uses a ceramic stone instead of plate setter as a means for cooking indirect and doesn't have handles). CGS has a nice write up on the two models of the PS Woo at:http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html

Here's my thoughts on differences between the two models:
    -PS Woo3: the attached ring at the bottom of it (for holding the stone or CI grid) gives a nice air gap of about 2" under the plate setter when you take it out & set it down when it's hot. Although you can wok on it it isn't recommended.
    -PS Woo2: no lower ring attached so you need to buy a spider accessory if you want to set a stone or CI grid below the top of the fire ring. A little more cost buying the PS Woo2 & spider versus the PS Woo3 but having them separate gives you a little more flexibility in usage (IMO). Here's an example of a set up possible having separate pieces:

Spider, stone, drip pan, full size cooking grid, PS Woo2 on top of grid, and a butt. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

SS grid on top of Woo and more meat:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm sure you can do a similar set up with a PS Woo3 but I'm pretty sure the grid on top of the drip pan would need to be a little smaller to fit within the circumference of the Woo.

If you really want more options in cooking heights and multi-grid cooking, I'd say go for an Adjustable Rig instead.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    If you want to Wok, Tom suggested that I get PSWoo2 + Spider for my Large BGE and that is what I went with.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Well, as it happens, if $$ is not the only criteria, I have the PS3Woo and a lone rider spider. The Woo gets the most use and the solitary spider is a guest. The PS 3 woo is golden if you already have the platesetter. Trust me.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.