Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked cheese

Options
I've seen it mentioned here before and would like to try it sometime. 

Any recipes/suggestions? 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Cold smoke generator like a maze n smoker and set it on charcoal grate. Cheese on grid. Start at 3 hours and figure out home much smoke you like. 3 is good for us after a little aging in fridge
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options

What Chubbs said. I use cherry pellets in the AMaze smoker, like it the best. Be careful of strong smoke flavors from woods like oak, can get a little strong for my taste.

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I didn't know what a cold smoke generator was so I looked it up and they're a little expensive!

I was hoping that I could do it with just the BGE and plate setter.

I apologize for my ignorance on the subject! Please have mercy...

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I didn't know what a cold smoke generator was so I looked it up and they're a little expensive!

I was hoping that I could do it with just the BGE and plate setter.

I apologize for my ignorance on the subject! Please have mercy...

This is the way I've always done mine with very good and repeatable results: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm
    You can't get much less expensive than this and it's very easy.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Amaze-N-Smokers are about $50.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Thought I'd read somewhere about little cans of fuel/wood that you lit like a candle, inside an Egg (or, really, any other container) with the cheese and they generated enough smoke to do the job, very inexpensive.  Lemme do some searching on Amazon...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• dayzed&confused
    Options
    I have smoked store bought sharp cheddar with great results. The cheese needs to be very cold but NOT frozen. Smoke it indirect with very little smoke generated in the egg. You want just a "wisp" of smoke out of the daizy wheel, something you can barely see. Cheese will absorb smoke like a sponge! I like apple wood but any fruit wood is fine. Don't use the harsh woods like mesquite, hickory, ect. The cheese will be too smokey. Cook at 225 max, I cook at 220 untill the cheese is beginning to soften an melt around the edges, maybe 30 minutes. I have only smoked the smaller blocks, 12 oz or so but I am very happy with the results. Hope this helps.
    San Angelo, texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited July 2013
    Options
    This might help: Cold Smoking Cheese  Also, for a quick and dirty method. go to Ace hardware and look to see if they have these: Smoking Cones  My Ace has 3 for $10.  I use the apple and the hickory cones to smoke a batch of cheese.  It's probably the easiest way to do it with no fuss/muss the first time.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I will look into all of the options presented here and see what I can do with what I have!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...this is the best forum I've ever been a part of. People go out of their way to help no matter what you ask and they don't patronize no matter how tempting it may be.

Thank you all.